My 6month old puppy ate a headband

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Pipsy girl, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Pipsy girl

Pipsy girl Registered Users

Hey everyone! My puppy accidentally found one of my cotton headbands That must have fell out of my bag onto the floor and swallowed it! I called the vet and he said to feed her bread soaked in milk. She didn't throw up last night but this morning she ate and pooped (no headband in it) and was she was running around acting fine . Has anyone had any experiences that there puppy was able to pass an object like this?? I'm so worried:(

2. PawPrints

PawPrints Registered Users

Oh you just never know what they are going to decide to eat. You were smart to call the vet. Keep on eye on her and hopefully she will be able to pass it without any issues.

3. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

You did the right thing calling the vets, I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience but Mabel's sister used to eat nylon pop socks and would pass them a day or so later. I would carry on keeping a close eye on her and call the vets if you are unsure.

4. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

It's surprising how long it takes for things to "pass"...it will probably re-emerge within a day or so but sometimes it takes longer.

5. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Quinn has eaten her fair share of cloth objects since her first adventure with a packet of kids socks at 3.5 months. We went to the vet after she vomited (about 3 days after she must have eaten the socks) and they kept her for the day and she had barium and xrays - very expensive and there were no other socks in there! Over the months, she has eaten a couple more socks (honestly, I don't know how she finds them as we are meticulous with picking up) and it usually takes her 3-4 days to vomit it up. First sign is that she vomits a meal, and typically the following day she pukes the sock. Most recently, she ate a cloth toy that was much larger than a sock and the vet induced vomiting because we were worried about it. There have never been any signs that something is wrong (eats, plays, poops as normal). We always call the vet and monitor her - just watch to see if she is eating and pooping/peeing normally and if not call the vet back asap.

6. Pipsy girl

Pipsy girl Registered Users

Thank you for all of you're replies! going to keep a close eye on her and hope it comes out. This is my second lab my first would only chew/ destroy the object but not actually swallow it! o_O

7. MF

MF Registered Users

Is a cotton hair band the elasticated kind you tie your hair up with into a ponytail? Snowie's favorite game was to pull them out my hair - quite painful! And then chew them into a mess - couldn't be used again. He also loved to play tug with them - of course I humoured him and played along knowing I was destroying my hair band. And sometimes he'd eat them. I never looked for them in his poo cos they were unrecognizable I'm afraid!

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Keep a close eye - especially for lethargy which is an indication that all is not well and the band may be causing an obstruction. These things usually come up or out!

Tatze has eaten many things, sometimes they (somehow) stay in her stomach for ten days - normal eating poos etc - THEN she throws them up, where she 'stores' them I do not know! :rolleyes:

Yes - I am very vigilant and nothing is in her reach, but she's sneaky!!

9. Maui48

Maui48 Registered Users

So my 6 month old lab ate 2 of my toddlers socks today In a matter of minutes! I called pet ER and they said I could use hydrogen peroxide but prefer to come in and get shot

A friend of mine told me about this Turkey baster and look up dosage he threw them up instantly and actually a 3rd!!!!

A vet told my friend to carry camping in case of dog getting into something poisonous .. mushrooms and such

My lab puked with in minutes and puked like 4 x