My 9 week old puppy has diarreah 1

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Russell21, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Here is a good article on worms and puppies.

https://www.thelabradorsite.com/puppy-worms/

It is quite common for puppies to have worms. Most puppies are actually born with worms, and they get these from their mothers, which is why breeders have a 2 weekly schedule of worming young puppies. Adult dogs can live quite happily with low levels of parasites, however, this is different with puppies. If the problem gets out of hand, or they are not wormed adequately by the breeder, or their environment is contaminated, then problems can occur, as puppies are so tiny, they can get very ill very quickly. This is why worming is so important in young puppies.
    Yes, puppies they can have side effects to the worming medications, they have sensitive baby tummies, however, they are mostly minor, and the benefits of worming far outweigh the low risk of side effects.

2. Bettie

Bettie Registered Users

My breeder uses canned pumpkin for regular diarrhea. My puppy was having it before I got him because all his siblings were being removed and Mom was no longer interested. By the time we got there he was getting worried and scared that everyone was leaving and he was alone. We used it once and then the loose bowels went away.

My puppy did not come with with worms. He had been de-wormed by the breeder, and when we had that checked at his first shots 3 weeks ago, the Vet found no parasites.

3. Russell21

Russell21 Registered Users

Thank you for all your replies. I took out Puppy back to the vet on wednesday and they did a stool sample and gave us a 5 day course of antibiotics incase it is Gardia . I got a phone call from them on friday to confirm it was gardia. Hes on the mend now and his poos are getting back to normal and just 1 or 2 a day ;)
    Only problem is that he can' have his 1st injections till Friday meaning he will be nearly 10 weeks old

MF, Master Bowie, Naya and 1 other person like this.
  4. Chaunceysmom

Chaunceysmom Registered Users

Well at least it was caught early , thank you for the update and happy he’s on the mend =)

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Glad he is on the mend :)

6. Nibbler's Mum

Nibbler's Mum Registered Users

Glad to hear your pup is ok. Nibbler had giardia when he was a puppy - almost certainly from bird poop ( huge wood pigeons) in our garden - he was drinking from a puddle underneath where they pooped .Took a while to get diagnosed but once done then vet went straight to panacur which cleared him straight up. He has never looked back. At least you seem to have gotten a quick diagnosis. He did go a bit bonkers on the panacur but only on it for a few days and well worth it. Good luck.

Russell21 likes this.