My Black Lab has bitten people and now going for family members

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by SyeH., Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SyeH.

SyeH. Registered Users

My black Lab (boy) is now 18 months and around 6 months ago he started going for people and actually biting whoever came into our house. This week he has now gone for me and bitten me, he has also started to growl at my two sons (11yrs and 13yrs) and they have ran to other rooms before anything bad has happened. A good friend of mine can come into the house and he jumps up at him and goes crazy but it's all loving. My wifes sister came yesterday and i put him on his lead and again he was loving, she started giving him a biscuit and all of a sudden something clicked and he went bazerk.

He has become more and more over protective of my wife and i think this could be the cause. It hasn't helped that i now work away from home and come back on a friday afternoon and go back early monday so i'm not sure if this has triggered something with him mentally.

We have gotten in contact with trainers, vets and kennels and they seem to think that there is no hope for him as once he has started with this behaviour it is very seldom seen that he will change. I also mentioned to the vet that the mother and father weren't allowed into the house when we bought him and that his fathers head was very square something i found odd at the time. After asking various people they think the dad is a cross with something like a rottweiler.

I have just taken him out for a walk over the fields with no lead and threw his ball for him and he has come back with no problems at all. Soon as i walk into the house near my wife is when he changes as i went to pat him and he immediately starts to growl and showing me his teeth.

Is there any hope? The vets appointment is today for him to be put to sleep but i'm hoping there is some way that we can sort this as this is going to absolute devastate my family and i. I can not understand how such a loving family dog has turned into such a vicious monster :(

2. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Hi SyeH, I am a novice dog owner but I work in behaviour (human not animal) and I am not able to tell from your post if you have had someone come to your home to observe your lab and the surroundings? Also, what type of training methods have you used previously? Having him checked out by your vet may also give some info, at least to prevent the chance that it is physical.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This must be an awful situation. I know this must be really tough and you are fearing for the safety of your family.

I'd ask the same as Harley above - have you contacted a behaviourist (not just a 'trainer') who can observe interactions between all of you and your dog? Also agree with the suggestion for a thorough physical exam. Vets are often not the best source of advice about behavioural issues though.

It sounds like your dog is resource guarding your wife...if so, that's a learned behaviour which can be unlearned.

Issues like this are usually due to an interaction between the dog and its humans. It's not because the dog is bad or naturally vicious or aggressive.

Rottweilers are actually quite gentle dogs so I wouldn't attribute his behaviour to his breeding, (or to his parents not being allowed in the house).

Karen likes this.
  4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Have you considered asking a rescue if they would take him? Of course, be honest with them about his behaviour -I wonder if a rescue like the Dogs Trust might have a behaviourist who would work with him.

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh how awful for you all! I second Rachael (Oberon's) note regarding the behaviorist.

6. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

It sounds very much like resource guarding of your wife. Without rhe opportunity if watching your dog and his interactions it in't possible to certain though. Resource guarding is very fixable with a good behaviourist and positive reinforcement methods. Please, please arrange a behaviour consult with someone very soon and allow time for positive methods to start showing an improvement before making any decision to euthanise.

7. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Yes, double ditto the behaviourist. ONe near me specializes in dogs said to have aggression problems. Many times it is a lack of training and exercise that is a big culprit for them.

A rescue likely would not take him.

I"m curious what tests your Vet did. Hypothyroidism is one condition that can result in such behaviour and is usually easily treated.

zrinka likes this.
  8. SyeH.

SyeH. Registered Users

He's gone, words can not describe how I'm feeling at the moment.

We talked to trainers, kennels, vets, even a Labrador society and they all said the same. My issue after him going for me and now my children was their welfare but now he's gone I'm questioning was it the right thing to do.

I feel I've let him down but in the time scale that his demeanor changed and the fact he's going for people who come to our house I didn't know what to do. He was absolutely loved, taken out regularly and he dined like a king but something just didn't click with him at some point over the last few weeks

Thanks for the replies guys, I feel like a part of me has died.

9. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

I am very sorry to hear that your dog is gone, you must be terribly upset. I'm going to lock this thread now as there is no more we can do to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.