My black lab on house arrest

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Arlene Sage, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Arlene Sage

Arlene Sage Registered Users

I was walking my dog 2 nights ago in the dark with my eleven-year-old daughter when a group of preteen boys came rushing at us and my dog bit one of the boys. California has VERY strict rules about dogs, especially one that bites a child, even when the dog is protecting the owner. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get ASAP to use the potty pads. He has never used them before and has never gone to the bathroom in the house. He has not pooped on over 24 hours and I am concerned for my baby boy!

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Annoying teens. How old is your dog? In my opinion your dog was frightened of a bunch of children running at him and not protecting you. What happened to the teen that was bitten, how bad was the bite? We have strict rules in the UK too with dogs that bite humans. I assume you live in an apartment or you could take your dog into your garden to toilet? Not sure about potty pads as I have and wouldn't use them. Someone else might be able to help with that.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So sorry to hear of this trouble, it must be extremely distressing for you and your family. :(

When you say your dog is on house arrest - do you mean that the authorities have mandated this? It's not possible to keep a dog inside a house for any length of time, and it's simply not practical or hygienic to have a grown adult Labrador peeing and pooing inside!

Surely, even if the authorities have mandated this, there must be scope to argue your dog should be allowed out for his own physical and mental health - even if a muzzle is required.

What's the next step in terms of the case and your dog biting the person?

FayRose likes this.
  4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

He's not even allowed outside to bathroom? People here who had their dogs quarantined, for rabies but I expect the reasoning is the same, could take their dogs out in their securely fenced backyard. Oh, I see the apartment comment above now. Is that it?

Back to the pads, I have heard of owners making a dog poop with a matchstick up the bum. Ask your Vet first. When I have read of it it was to have them poop before going into a showring so not quite the same thing.

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Err......NO!!!!!

6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Please don't try this.

7. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Yeah, I thought the matchstick idea would horrify people. It's on several sites but I searched again and could not find it linked to any Vet evidence that it works or that it is harmful or not harmful. I repeat again my advice when I first mentionned it, ASK your VET. Maybe your Vet would have another idea, your dog has to poop.

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I certainly wouldn't do the matchstick thing, but I would add that my vet has used a probe to encourage my ferrets to poo, when I first had them. On every subsequent visit, I've taken a little baggy for testing. Far more pleasant for everyone!

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

It is wicked if you cannot even take him out to toilet. Is this a forever thing, or just short term?

10. pedrolo

pedrolo Registered Users

Sounds absurd, even prisioners have a right to go to the yard, to breath fresh air, and to see the sun. I do not know about laws, but I would consult to a lawyer. Judges are humans, so, they can mistake. No right to go (ok, on leash, muzzle, short time), to pee and poo? :eek: