My crazy lab!

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Heather3, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Heather3

Heather3 Registered Users

Hello all, I just joined this site today, my 15 month old black lab is a little crazy! She came to our family 2 weeks before her first birthday, she was not getting along well with her young human....anyway she is a sweet dog but that zipper on her nose and her behavior tells me she is a little “off” but hey, so am I . I also have a 1 year old 40lb lab, terrier, hound everything under the sun mix- both females and they get along pretty well. My big issue at the moment is the lab and, sorry I know it’s gross, poop eating. She has been vetted, stool samples, blood work and everything checks out. I am concerned about EPI, I don’t know too much about this but she frequently has large “soft” stool and of course the eating part but she has been steadily gaining weight so it doesn’t really seem like it should be a concern. At 73lbs the vet just reminded us to watch the treats! She has 1 1/2 cups of nutro chicken and rice twice per day and seems to do well on this. Apparently the poop eating was an issue with her previous 3 homes, yes 3 owners before 1 year old. No worries, she’s not moving out of my home but I think she may have a bit of “baggage” to work through! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Heather, welcome to the forum :)

Heather3 likes this.
  3. AngelConradie

AngelConradie Registered Users

Hi Heather!
    Poop eating is pretty common, but extremely off-putting for people so it may well have been a factor in her being rehomed. :/
    We have a rescue with some food issues (which we've managed to improve in her 5 years with us), and she's been a "recycler" from day one - she was about 6 months when we adopted her. We've tried liquorice, pineapple, pumpkin, pepper, Copranat spray, just about everything except colloidal silver and activated charcoal. She's healthy, and super energetic, and the right weight.
    We also had a special needs Lab who became a "recycler" at about 6 months old.
    The only way we are able to stop them getting any was to pick it up immediately.