My dog doesn't bark!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by StlCardinals, Jan 1, 2018.

?

How often does your dog bark?

1. Too much!

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. He/she barks, but it's not disturbing or disruptive

15 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Never. My dog never barks.

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. StlCardinals

StlCardinals Registered Users

Hey Gang!

I'm probably not posting something that hasn't already been posted, but I figured a fresh perspective would be nice.

My dog doesn't bark.

It's not that she hardly barks, it's that she never barks at all. I know it's not an issue, or anything I should be worried about. But has anyone else experienced this?

Lin likes this.
  2. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Axel barks if there are bears or deer in the yard, or if someone is walking in the woods behind our house (because they are a huge threat:rolleyes:). He barks if someone knocks on the door, or if he’s super excited when someone comes up on us on a walk. But other than that he doesn’t bark ;)

I don’t mind the barking at wildlife or people when he’s at home because then I’m aware that there could be a threat(bears I mainly worry about). But I don’t like him barking when on walks as it does scare people, he means well but it doesn’t come off as friendly. It’s a huge work in progresso_O

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

My late boy Sam didn't bark at all until he was about three years old , and when he did , he was amazed at the noise that came from within ! Even in the following years until he died aged six , he rarely ever barked , only if he saw something that wasn't right, like a plastic bag blowing around in the wind .

4. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Our 11 year old Lab has barked about 10 times in her whole life. It’s usually a territorial one (mostly when we are camping) when it happens and it always surprises us.

5. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Holly barks if she hears someone coming up the drive. Apart from that she's mostly quiet.

She did give us a surprise before Christmas when, for no apparent reason, she barked in the car.

6. Lin

Lin Registered Users

Finn almost never barks, he's almost 10, we rescued him 2 years ago. However, yesterday I caught his tail in the gate and he yelped twice. It came out as a croaky 'ouch' because his vocal cords are really rusty! Yes, I apologised profusely!!

StlCardinals likes this.
  7. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Mine isn't a huge barker but he's a weirdo with it.

He's currently running round the garden barking his head off. I have no idea why :rolleyes:

StlCardinals likes this.
  8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I have Moo who's motto is" I bark therefore I am."
    She barks a lot, but is not and never has been a dog who barks on walks or at other dogs. The boys are/were both not barkers. They only tended to use their voices when there was trouble.my new neighbours didn't know we had dogs for weeks. They never heard them:)

selina27 likes this.
  9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lilly barely barked until she was around two years of so I think.
    And has gradually barked more but almost always at people unexpected passing the house....not regulars....or if the door is knocked or Bell rung.
    It at cats. Or if wound up by my OH :rolleyes:

10. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

How old is she? Neither of mine barked till they were about a year old. Jet still never hardly barked at all.

11. StlCardinals

StlCardinals Registered Users

That's so cool! I had a feeling it was nothing to worry about. I just thought it was so odd she NEVER barks! She's perfect and I don't mind if she never barks.

She's almost 5 months. She has maybe barked twice in the few months we've had her.

12. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

No I’d say it’s a very positive thing. Our 12 month old puppy does an alert bark when she hears/sees something unexpected. She was quiet for months then started. I still find it weird after having this very quiet Lab for years.

13. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Might change anytime soon :D

When I was growing up we had a spaniel who lived until he was nearly 15, he never barked, only once, gave the whole family the most almighty shock.

Cassie, aged 20 months , has her barking just right, mostly when she hears the latch on the gate chink if someone calls, or if there is someone different in the stables the other side of the house, not at regulars though. I don't mind, she soon stops.

14. SimoneB

SimoneB Registered Users

Our recently lost 7yr old only barked when someone rang the doorbell. Didn't scare the postman but kept cold callers on their toes.

15. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Benson our male chocolate lab didn't bark until he was roughly 7/8months old. His bark is a lovely big, deep WOOF! :) Bramble, however, barked from the day we got her home at 8 weeks old. It is not annoying and she rarely barks, probably barks less now than when she was younger. Bramble has more of a repertoire though in barking, whereas Benson and Casper have just one.. which is "wassat????"

selina27 likes this.
  16. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco is a dreadful barker. It must be from his Shepherd genes, I think they're quite vocal. He barks in the house at stuff outside, even when there's nothing there. Drives me potty sometimes. He barks at the postman, the mikman, anyone who comes to the door or walks past the house. He barks when he's frustrated (this is a different bark). He barks a little when he's playing, but not much. He barks in the garden if a neighbour is doing something unusual. He barks a lot less when OH is here, I do wonder if he's barking for my benefit - warding people/things off? He's been barking at tho oil delivery man this morning, over the road. I looked, I thanked, I said it's OK and he followed me away from the window, then went back and barked some more.

He's just barked randomly then looked at me, I said "Coco, that's enough", he stared at the treat box - I do hope he's not training me....

He doesn't bark when we're out for a walk - hallelujah!

Jazzmynn, drjs@5 and Beanwood like this.
  17. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

He's just barked randomly then looked at me, I said "Coco, that's enough", he stared at the treat box - I do hope he's not training me....
    [/QUOTE]

Oh yes, I have been counter-conditioned fairly well by Casper, I now have a whiplash response to LATH (look at that Hooman!) :rofl:

selina27 likes this.
  18. MF

MF Registered Users

Snowie only barks at me - to tell me to get a move on (when I stop to chat on a walk, or if we’re on our way out but I’m dawdling as far as he’s concerned), or when I come home from work and he’s inside and then he shouts the house down and continues to bark at me as if to say: where have you been all day?! - the latter only happened in the past few months and I do believe he learned this from the new poodle next door that barks non-stop. Before the poodle moved in he rarely barked at home.

His barks are deafening - scares anyone who’s not heard his barks before!

He occasionally has barked at a dog he feels threatened by, but only after the dog has moved on, then he plucks up his courage and goes “woof, I wasn’t scared of you” (well, that’s how I interpret it).

He does “talk” a LOT - very cute. Lots of squeaks and groans and hrmphs.

19. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Quinn didn't let out her first bark until around 6 months (at a cat that swiped her in the face) - she looked shocked she could make noise. We didn't really hear her bark again until the past few months (she is now two) - she has started alert barking now that we have moved to a new house when someone comes to our door or she sees someone she isn't sure of walking by our front window. She'll also let out a few barks if you say "who is that?"...it was not me who trained that :rolleyes:. I wish we could go back to zero barking, but she isn't bad at all.

20. Dimitri

Dimitri Registered Users

River's coming up to five months and hasn't barked yet either. Doesn't mean she's quiet though, if she doesn't agree with something she's happy to winge. She excels in winging :D

MF and drjs@5 like this.