My dog has an overwhelming sense of smell during walks

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Johnny, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Johnny

Johnny Registered Users

Hey All,

My boy, 3 years old, has been going completely nuts during his walks lately. Since winter has come along, he actually runs and pulls, with his nose to the ground, to get to the next smell or tree. He has always had a active nose during walks, but this is on another level. The problem is there is no stopping him or getting him out of his 'zone'. Something or some smell is really attracting him and I cannot figure out what is causing this.

I have tried every trick in the book, stopping, rerouting, treats etc... but nothing is more attractive then these smells.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Johnny

An interesting problem.

If you can't find an area without the scent, then your training plan is that your dog gets to sniff, if he walks properly. So if he pulls turn around and go in the opposite direction to where he wanted to go. Reward by letting him do some sniffing. Then back to walking. Hold the lead with both hands and lower your centre of gravity if he is pulling you along.

Train for the scent distraction.If there is a heavy rain, for example, then as soon as it stops one should be able go out with your dog and put in a number of repetitions in which you can reward success. The heavy rain should wash away most, if not all, of the target scent, giving you a fighting chance to reward desirable behaviour.

Accordingly, use the time of dog to train for scent distractions. Just before dawn the scent will not be as strong as when the sun heats the earth and the target scent begins to rise. You should be able to get some repetitions at dawn in when the scent is weak, thereby using the weak scent as a distraction you will train for. Next morning train walking 5 minutes after dawn and over time gradually move the time to be later. In a sense you are gradually approaching the scent by using the time of day to help you.

flor likes this.
  3. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Hi Johnny,
    I wonder if someone has been taken an un-spayed female dog on early morning walks during her season... If that's the case the issue should sort itself out fairly promptly!
    Michael has given some great advice above. I'd also say there is no harm in trying going right back to basics with the heel work.
    Let us know how you get along!

4. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

It does sound like a bitch in season is around...

5. Johnny

Johnny Registered Users

Hey all! Thank you for the replies. He seems to have calmed down over the past few days. There most certainly was a smell. He is back to normal sniffing.

Thanks again all

Michael A Brooks likes this.
  6. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Great news! :)

7. flor

flor Registered Users

Hi, @Michael A Brooks ! Do you have any advice on whether or not to give cues when our dog is sniffing? Ema gets completely "deaf" while sniffing... I just call her when I see she's taking a break in all the sniffing otherwise I'm ruining the cue...

8. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @flor

Get your dog into the habit of checking in. Everytime she looks at you give praise. If she's reasonably close, toss her a treat. Or walk over and reward her if you have said your marker word "yes".

If she is sniffing try calling her name. Give praise if she looks at you. As your dog looks at you call her. Give a high value treat. And then release her so she can go sniffing again.

Let us know how you go.

9. flor

flor Registered Users

Hi, @Michael A Brooks ! Will do!

10. flor

flor Registered Users

Hi, @Michael A Brooks ! It is working! A sausage in my pocket and Ema stops sniffing and comes! Thank you ;)

Michael A Brooks likes this.