My dog has just bitten someone! Please advise

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Tammy Cooke, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Your dog is 5 years old and I am assuming she has never bitten someone before? So that may be in her favour. Poor girl must have been very distressed to bite.

Tammy Cooke likes this.
  2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I do have something to add. You say your girl has always been nervous around men (so was our rescue) but this is a first. Aggression is a symptom of hypothyroidism so I'd get a Vet work up to see if anything is amiss healthwise. The results might help if the man does pursue action against you. Here, in Ontario, Canada, in most places I know of, if the man needs medical attention for a bite the local Public Health office will contact the AG. and Food Health of Animals branch and the animal MUST be quarantined for at least 10 days to check for Rabies. This whether or not the animal is vaccinated. I was bitten by a cat in February and this is what happened with it. Without quarantine of the animal I would have had to take Rabies shots myself.

Everyone said it already but please try to save her from such meetings in future. My sister's dog bit several kids, one did require hospitalization and Laddie had to be quarantined. One more such bite and he would have to be put down. Nothing like a potential death sentence hanging over the head of the pet you, nevertheless, love, to make you avoid all kids in future.

3. Tammy Cooke

Tammy Cooke Registered Users

We’ve done everything we possibly could for our girl, everything in our power. I wish with all my heart yesterday never happened but it has. I came on the site for support, not to be made to feel even worse. This has never happened before. I said I will take more action to get her seen and assessed by a behaviourist.
    I hope nobody ever has to go through the weekend we’ve just been through.

4. Tammy Cooke

Done already. Thank you x

Granca and SwampDonkey like this.
  5. Tammy Cooke

I’m glad your boy was okay. It was bad enough that she bit an adult. A child, well I don’t know what I would do x

6. Tammy Cooke

I think she was just very surprised. Doesn’t justify it but this is what happened

Stacia likes this.
  7. Keithmac

Keithmac Registered Users

To be fair I think you should shoulder some of the blame, if you knew your Lab was edgey around males a DIY centre isn't the best place be.

Put yourself in the bitten man's shoes, he doesn't seem unreasonable imho.

Real shame but to be fair you've put your dog into an awkward sitution and the man was just going about his normal business..

8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I think Tammy has dealt with this situation in best way possible. She looking for help not blame and shame. She is very aware of the situation.
    This could happen to any of us were all only one stupid person away from trouble. If you live in the uk read the dog acts and you will see that someone only has say they find your dog threatening and you can get into trouble. Even if your dog was just behaving like a dog and walking passed someone.
    Stating the bl**ding obvious doesn't really help, Support and ideas do. It's a situation none of us want to be in but it could happen to any of us.

Aitch, HollyandNala, Edp and 13 others like this.
  9. Leanne82

Leanne82 Registered Users

I once fostered a dog for a rescue for a year. She had been thrown out of window as a puppy and both her back legs were broken so she had crate rest for 2 months whilst they healed. As a result she hated men and would wee on the floor if they approached. Never showed any signs of aggression but that was more luck than judgement tbh.

Dogs are sentient beings, Tammy has no idea what the trigger is (yet) because she hasn’t had her, her whole life - it takes a lot to post like she did and honestly I would rather be supportive and be able to help if I can than have a blame game going on whereby other posters dealing with aggression etc might not post and get help that they might need.

The act is done, we can all look back and go ‘yeah but’ - the important bit now is to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Keep posting Tammy, we are here to support if we can xxxx

Aitch, Candy, Edp and 12 others like this.
  10. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

This, absolutely.

HollyandNala, drjs@5 and SwampDonkey like this.
  11. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

It's says a lot about a person who takes on a dog with these issues and she's still trying do the best for her despite having a nasty shock.

Aitch and Tammy Cooke like this.
  12. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Just catching up on this, Tammy. One of mine is very nervous, too, so I can appreciate how upset you must have been.

It may also be worth contacting your vet to see if they have desensitisation sessions, as taking her to the vet must be a bit worrying for her too. My local vet runs these sessions, nurse-led, and regular visits have helped my dog. She’s still not relaxed intitially, but she recently let the vet examine both ears thoroughly, a great improvement after lungeing and barking at him when she first met him about three months ago!

13. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Hopefully, as it’s been a couple of days now the man has decided to just let it be and not report the incident.When my friends dog was reported to the police for going for another dog they were round straight away.

I hope the behaviourist is helpful and you find a solution that works, it’s such an awful situation for everyone involved.

But you’re doing your best for your girl - and that’s the most anyone can expect. Please let us know how she gets on :)

14. Tammy Cooke

I hope you never have to go through what we’ve been through this weekend!!!
    It’s been horrendous.
    I think you need to bring yourself down off your pedestal!

Lin likes this.
  15. Tammy Cooke

Thank you to those forum members who have supported me through this testing time. Your words of encouragement and support hugs and kisses have said so much. I’m truly grateful xxxx

16. Tammy Cooke

I will and thank you x

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I 100% agree with @SwampDonkey this could happen to any dog owner no matter how great a temperament they think their dog has, it is dangerous to think otherwise. Tammy should not be judged harshly as she has acted very quickly to put things in place to help her dog, nobody can ask for more. @Tammy Cooke Ignore the negative comments as they will only bring you down, we are here on this forum to support you. You are doing the very best you can so please keep in touch. xxx

Candy, Granca, kateincornwall and 4 others like this.
  18. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

It is obvious that Tammy has taken this unfortunate incident very seriously. The fact that the responsibility always lies with the dog owner isn't in question.

Having your dog bite a person is very distressing, for all concerned, especially when considering the repercussions. This seems to be an unusual incident, and the dog displayed unexpected behaviour inconsistent with the dog's history, however, there is evidence of anxiety which is likely to have been a precursor. As mentioned previously all dogs are capable of biting irrespective of the breed.

The forum is about offering support, and a way forward, stating the obvious in this context can be upsetting.

Aitch, Granca, Stacia and 8 others like this.
  19. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

I agree that anyone who drops their guard and thinks their dog will never bite is a fool. I think of all dogs as bites just waiting to happen. I’ve been bitten by every dog my family owned growing up and never thought otherwise. I watch in horror sometimes when my wife allows my todddler to meet strange dogs and when she lets her at Duggan when he’s tired or medicated. I never let down my guard around any dog. I think Tammy has done all she can and will continue do so. I think it sucks cause now she will worry for the remainder of the dogs life wondering if it will happen again. It was a terrible incident for both people and it’s useless to try to place blame. That’s all we do these days in such letigious times. Had she known her dog was a biter I’m sure she wouldn’t have put him in such a position. I’m sure if you all think about it hard enough you came come up with a name of someone you know who has been bitten by a dog at some point in your life. Or at least had one lunge a fence as you passed a yard. It happens and It will continue to happen as long as we share our homes and lives with another species.

kateincornwall, Karen, Stacia and 6 others like this.
  20. Tammy Cooke

Thank you xx

kateincornwall likes this.