My dog has just bitten someone! Please advise

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Tammy Cooke, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I hope you are feeling a bit better today about things Tammy. Hopefully the guy has gone away and not taken it further, but at least you can demonstrate that you are putting things in place. Big hugs x

2. Keithmac

Keithmac Registered Users

It is an obviously upsetting incident and one I hope will never happen to us.

Just the tone of the first post seemed to put the blame on the man for walking through the door if a DIY Store.

I have re-read several times and still come to the same conclusion.

As everyone says this must be a very distressing incident.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I’ve read it carefully as well and I don’t see any blame directed at the man. There’s just a statement of fact that he was walking towards the door and then continued walking towards the door after the OP’s dog barked. While we might all wish that he had stopped, Tammy isn’t blaming him for not stopping.

4. Tammy Cooke

Tammy Cooke Registered Users

If I wasn’t ‘shouldering the blame’ I wouldn’t be taking this as seriously as I am. I wouldn’t have posted on this forum if I didn’t care.
    I’m not getting in to a heated debate.
    Like the majority of supportive members have stated, I have come to discuss my concerns to gain advice and support. Not for name and shame.
    It really is a pity you don’t see that.

THANK YOU TO ALL. ESPECIALLY SWAMPDONKEY WHO REACHED OUT TO ME PRIVATELY TO SUPPORT ME
    XXX

Lin, drjs@5, Granca and 2 others like this.
  5. Tammy Cooke

Just to keep everyone updated, Shiko is booked in to her vets this evening to see if there is anything medical to rule out. We are booking in to see a very respectable behaviourist with excellent skills and feedback. Fingers crossed. And thank you xx

Stew, Coa, drjs@5 and 12 others like this.
  6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Good positive action from a committed dog owner:)

Edp, drjs@5, Stacia and 3 others like this.
  7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Good luck at the vets.

Tammy Cooke likes this.
  8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

All the best with the way forward xx

Snowshoe and Tammy Cooke like this.
  9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Please don't get upset by one post, most people will be supportive and understanding and 'let he who is without sin throw the first stone'. It is regrettable it happened and I can feel your pain and worry, your are doing something positive about it and are a responsible dog owner. I have almost been in your shoes with my last Lab, he was the most wonderful dog but he did have some issues, but he was a great dog. My present Lab is a little angel in comparison but doesn't have the character :)

Candy, selina27, charlie and 3 others like this.
  10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That's great Tammy, good for you getting things in place so quickly. That's what being a responsible dog owner is all about. Let us know how you get on. xxx

Tammy Cooke likes this.
  11. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

I didn't post on your thread to give you any personal support, but nor did I intend to cause you to feel worse either. If my post did so, then please accept my apology and sincere promise that it wasn't intentional.

My post was in reply to a third party view that I didn't wholly agree with, and I replied to add some balance to the discussion for the benefit of present and future readers. I thought I did that reasonably constructively and don't think I broke any forum policies.

If we don't allow different views, then we don't have much of a forum and we might as well all move to the DPRK.

12. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Nothing to add, Tammy, except to send my sympathies and support too. And please hang around this forum - in the future there may well be someone else in a position that you can offer good advice and experience to!

Granca, Snowy, Tammy Cooke and 2 others like this.
  13. Tammy Cooke

Hello
    I didn’t know if I was coming or going when I posted the initial post. I have never been so worried or upset about our dogs. On looking back at your post I can see why I jumped to conclusions but in all honesty you said nothing particularly wrong.
    I cannot thank the forum members enough for their support x

Granca, Snowy, Stacia and 4 others like this.
  14. Tammy Cooke

Evening all
    Quick update
    So we went to the vets this evening and saw Claire, who is brilliant with her and Shiko trusts her. Claire has known Shiko since we took her on 3 years ago, she doesn’t feel Shiko has any medical problems that would attribute to her aggressive behaviour at the weekend or anxiety overall. She believes Shiko has always been a very nervous dog and her reaction at the weekend was one of which Shiko felt was the only way out. She gave a warning but wasn’t acted up on and Shiko felt the only way now is to bite.

Not justifying her actions or blaming anyone here just discussing what Shiko’s vet feels has transpired.

We have contacted a behaviourist who is happy to take Shiko on and work with her to help her cope with stressful situations and coping mechanisms and to potentially find out why she behaves the way she does. The behaviourist has said she may never be completely better but there is room for improvement.

Will continue to keep you all updated. And thank you again for your continued support.

15. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Oh well done, Tammy. Thanks for keeping us in touch, and I do hope the behaviourist can be of some help to lovely Shiko!

16. Leanne82

Leanne82 Registered Users

Well done you!

Whilst I doubt anything will come from this now, just make sure you keep records of the vet visits etc just in case anything comes up. It just proves you are a responsible owner etc

Granca, Tammy Cooke and SwampDonkey like this.
  17. Tammy Cooke

It’s quite sad really. I still have Sadie’s vet receipts and she passed away last May. X

18. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Good to hear Shiko isn't unwell. The behaviourist sounds very positive, all very hopeful for learning some coping mechanisms. Shiko is in very good hands with you.

Tammy Cooke likes this.
  19. Tammy Cooke

Behaviourist booked. Now I need to do overtime to pay for it lol :( x

Naya, edzbird, Granca and 2 others like this.
  20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Glad the vet visit went well Tammy. Good luck with the behaviourist. x

Tammy Cooke likes this.