My Dog Has Stopped Eating

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by popjoc, Jan 8, 2018.

1. popjoc

popjoc Registered Users

Hi, Our 8 year Old Black Lab will no longer eat any food. It has been well over a week now since his last meal. We have taken him to the Vets, and they did the usual tests etc and said that he seemed healthy and strong. But at home, he won't eat, rarely drinks and is lethargic all the time. He still enjoys his walks, but that is all.

When he drinks, he mostly is sick straight afterwards, he also seems to be constipated and does a lot of straining but nothing is coming out. On our first visit to the vet last week, they gave me an anti biotic and a steroid injection, but this didnt boost his appetite. We have tried everything, from his favourite foods to favourite treats, we have even warmed his food, added gravy, and things like that but to no avail. When you try to give him food its almost like he thinks we are poisoning him.

Back at vets today and since his visit 5 days ago he has lost another 3 kg. Vet doesn't seem to believe us when we say he wont eat anything, but after a bit of pushing the vet finally took bloods so hopefully that may show something.

I am just wondering if anyone else has seen this happen with their Lab and how did they rectify the situation.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

First thing I would say is to change your Vet if the current one isn't taking this seriously . I am so sorry that you have this worry , my late boy Sam was terribly poorly about two years ago when he refused food and drink , he had two courses of antibiotics plus other medication and eventually after a few days, his appetite returned , no conclusion was ever reached , as nothing showed in his blood work . I would always take very seriously a Labrador of all dogs , who elected not to eat so I truly hope that your Vet can offer some conclusion and a solution , much luck with him , I am sorry .

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I am sorry @popjoc but this sounds serious. Look for another vet, NOW!

I have a foster that became ill...took him to the vets who were very thorough...even considering sending him for a scan that day. As is happens he is fine, but they still following up in contact to make sure everything is OK.

4. Beanwood

THIS statement is very worrying, and something a vet should take VERY seriously.

drjs@5 likes this.
  5. MF

MF Registered Users

Did he perhaps eat something he shouldn’t have, like a toy or clothing that could be causing a blockage? Did the vet do a thorough examination of his stomach area, feeling for an obstruction?

Best of luck. I’d also be seeking a second vet opinion.

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Yes, if this is a blockage, it could be imminently life-threatening. He needs to be seen by someone who takes this seriously, and today. I don't like to scare you, but I'd rather that and find out it was nothing rather than the alternative. Please let us know what happens.

7. popjoc

popjoc Registered Users

Thanks for all the replies so far, they are all very helpful. Shadow has had a full examination of his stomach and all feels fine, no sign of any blockages and he is not the sort of dog to eat toys or clothing. He is just a dog who loves his food, and playing chase with his ball, but this has all stopped now that he is not eating. I will wait to see if the blood results show anything and then will consider getting a second opinion. But again, thanks everyone for your help and understanding, it is much appreciated

8. Beanwood

I really do hope you lad is OK @popjoc. I like you would be very worried. It doesn't necessarily need to be something your dog has ingested to cause an obstruction. Have they scanned Shadow yet?

9. popjoc

popjoc Registered Users

No scans have been suggested yet, maybe when we get the blood results. Although I have noticed a smell from his mouth as did the vet and believe that may be related to kidney problems, but we should get his results later today so will let you all know how that goes.

10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I would be very concerned if my dog had not eaten for well over a week. It does sound suspiciously like a blockage of some description, or kidney problem. If nothing shows up in his bloods today, I would most certainly ask for a second opinion.

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi @popjoc
    I would be worrying. This doesn't sound right. I would be looking for a second vet opinion and possibly an admission for further tests and observations.
    Dogs tolerate a lot before showing that they are ill.
    A smell from his breath could be related to a blockage, a dental problem, or even starvation (this can cause the sweet smell of ketosis that diabetics can get) among other less common things.
    I would be on the phone to the vet pushing for results and/or further treatment - like NOW.
    It's a concern too that you feel your vet doesn't believe you :confused:
    jac

12. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Blockage springs to mind here too. It's very worrying that he hasn't eaten for so long. I hope the blood results come through soon. Is he drinking?

13. popjoc

popjoc Registered Users

well we just heard back from the vet and Shadow has Chronic Kidney Disease, and he is at very high levels. He wants to discuss options in the morning but it is not looking good. He said he might try Fluid Therapy but that would only be a temporary measure as this is something that cannot be cured.

My question is this, is it worth going down the road of Fluid Therapy or should we just let our boy go with some dignity.

Sorry for bringing everyone down with this news, but as you can imagine, we are all devastated here.

Thanks again everyone for your help

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh my goodness, I am sorry to hear this. This is a choice only you can make, but I think if he is not eating, and is sick when he drinks, that he must be in considerable distress.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  15. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh dear , I really so terribly sorry to read this awful news and please don't apologise , we are here to support in times of need and goodness me , I`ve relied on the support of this forum an awful lot . I truly don't know what to advise you to do , the one hand says try anything, but if that anything wont make a real difference , the outlook is bleak and I know you wont want him to linger and suffer. Having recently lost a six year old dog , I can truly understand your distress , its heart breaking, devastating for you , and just the most awful thing to face , my heart goes out to you x

16. MF

MF Registered Users

I am so sorry to read this. I can imagine your devastation. I am thinking of you and sending you best wishes as you make this difficult decision.

17. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Kidney disease is a horrible condition. All you can do is consider his quality of life. My best wishes to you and your family

18. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I'm so sorry to read your post and learn that you had such horrible news -- devastating for you.
    As others have said, I think only you know the right course of action for him, what will be best for him.
    Thinking of you.

19. Beanwood

So sorry, what devastating news :(

20. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

You must be heartbroken to hear this.
    Always worth discussing options with your vet - some types of kidney failure have fixable causes, but it doesn't sound like your vet thinks it is this type :(
    I am a strong supporter of quality of life over quantity.
    Whatever happens, we know you will do the very best for your boy.
    x

Karen likes this.