My dog knocked someone over today

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Trying hard, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Trying hard

Trying hard Registered Users

:-[ thankfully, no harm done although the person in question was badly winded. My lab was playing with their dog and she just bowled into the unsuspecting woman and took her feet from under her. They were so lovely about it but all I can think about it how much worse it could have been. I have tried to think how I can prevent it happening again but I'm not sure I can.

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Re: My dog knocked someone over today

Oh dear I have had this happen to me before with a 45 kilo Labradoodle and a 42 kilo Doberman on separate occasions took me straight off my feet, it happens wrong place at the wrong time when they are playing, I just keep a constant watch out for fast approaching dogs :eek: Glad the person was OK about it and she's not hurt. Hmm not sure what you can do to prevent it other than to try and keep the dogs infront of you retrieving maybe :-\ x

3. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

How awful for you. It is one of my greatest worries with Molly.

4. Debs

Debs Registered Users

I've been knocked over by a very lively Labradoodle and I've been bashed into quite a few times by large dogs too! Just like you, it's been while the dogs are playing. I now keep a close eye on where they are to avoid being knocked over! If my dog is playing with another dog and play is getting too lively, by either dog, for the environment we are in I now bring stop play immediately!

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I think if the dogs are playing and the other person is happy for them to be playing too then it's not really anyones fault. We meet a lovely lady out with her flatcoat and she always tucks herself well out of the way while we chat and they romp about. Then they both settle a bit more and we all walk along together.

A good recall and sit/stay by your side is all you can do if someone doesn't want their dogs to play and your lead is your friend in that case(that's my motto anyway!) I never feel silly popping Riley's lead back on because then I know we won't get into any trouble ;D I'm sure some people out and about think me a killjoy sometimes though!

6. Trying hard

Yes, I think as Molly has got older and better behaved on walks I have relaxed (maybe too much!) about keeping my eye on her and her excitement levels so maybe I should be more vigilant, there really is no end to things to worry about on walks is there!

7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh no!

My Tatze has knocked me over three times now by glancing into my knee and taking my feet from under me - I was just very grateful it wasn't anyone else!

I don't know the answer - as it's great when they play with other dogs and I wouldn't want to discourage this. Today I didn't let Tatze play with a lady's dog as the woman was old and frail and I was a bit concerned about Tatze's exuberance. But, in normal circumstances I would have let them play.

:-\

8. Morwenstow

Morwenstow Registered Users

Are you insured?

Roger

9. bbrown

[quote author=Morwenstow link=topic=10000.msg145761#msg145761 date=1424872639]
    Are you insured?
    [/quote]

That's not something I've ever thought of.......is there any insurance that covers damages caused by your dog as standard or is it something you'd have to insure for specifically. I would worry that insuring against that specifically would be used as justification for a claim on the basis I "knew" my dog was liable to cause damage.

10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It's usually standard and for large sums too.

I am with John Lewis and if Tatze causes an accident, our policy protects us against a possible legal liability up to £3 million.

11. bbrown

Cool thank you Mags.....I checked all the details around what was covered at the vets etc before deciding on a policy, didn't occur to me they'd be covering for possible damage. Phew!

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=10000.msg145757#msg145757 date=1424871925]
    I think if the dogs are playing and the other person is happy for them to be playing too then it's not really anyones fault.
    [/quote]

I agree with this - if your dog is engaged in play, and you are stood around watching, then it's your look out, really. I've had 60kg of two labradors crash into my knee before, and it certainly wasn't anyone's fault.

I had a bit of a nightmare just after Charlie got off crate rest, and we were ambling along the side of the rugby pitch, with no-one else on the pitch (or so I thought). He was on a long lead of about 5m, and about at the end of it, sniffing. Suddenly, out of nowhere, an old bloke (about 75 or 80) in shorts and a vest, jogged by my left shoulder. I mean right by my shoulder. Why he had to be so close when he had the whole pitch to run on, I don't know. I gasped as he just surprised me, and made me jump, Charlie swung round from where he was sniffing and jumped up at him. Old bloke totters backwards and falls on his back.

Oh my! I thought we'd killed him! I pull Charlie away (he is still on his line, of course) and help the old bloke up. Who is as nice as anything, said Charlie was just being a dog and no harm done.

What a lovely chap!

13. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Most pet insurance covers third party damage.

My two have taken my legs out from under me a couple of times. Any sense of special awareness seems to go out of the window when they have a hoolie. I'm not sure there is anything you can do other than stop her if she is getting too excited. You could warn the person your with to keep an eye out if the dogs are racing around.

14. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

It's a definite danger when dogs are playing....and somehow it seems that when they have a whole field or park to play in they insist on zooming around (and toward!) the small clump of humans gathered together. Simba has taken me out a couple times, but no one else, yet! Thankfully......

15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh goodness ,there but for the grace go I !
    Really lucky it didn't end too badly for any of you!
    I've been bowled over a couple of times by other dogs in play,always managed to crumble and not brace with the legs so no broken bones ::) Chris came home one eve last summer when we had our little secret off lead group going on and told me my pregnant friend had been knocked over :'( :'( :'( thankfully not by Dexter which of course was my second question,the first being 'Is she ok?'

16. Trying hard

You are all making me feel much better! I thought Molly was some crazy dog bowling ball! I do have public liability insurance as part of my insurance package because my parents last rescue lab (sadly no longer with us) was barmy too and my mum advised me to get it.

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I find that Lilly is fine with most dogs and keeps a reasonable distance from legs but there are some dogs who have absolutely NO SENSE of spacial awareness and lead Lilly into close shaves. Lucky they are few and far between.

18. Steph

Steph Registered Users

Goes with the territory I reckon. Dogs playing + having immense fun = danger zone for bystanders. My own Holly has had me over twice in the last few months from her careering about the fields in play.

Maybe a different scenario if the person knocked over is not one of the dog owners but when it is the other owner who has joined in with allowing play then no foul in my book.

Good point on the insurance too, I never thought to check out that side of things. May go see what I'm covered for now.

19. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have known of a couple of people breaking legs because of dogs knocking into them. Three Labs (two were mine) knocked me over and I hurt my ankle quite badly and some strange dog knocked me over in the lane smack onto the tarmac :) I now find the nearest tree and cling to it if the dogs start dashing about!

20. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Bend yer knees ;)

Dawn_Treader likes this.