My Dog Pulls. What Do I Do? - Turid Rugass

Discussion in 'Books' started by UncleBob, Mar 1, 2014.

1. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Title: My Dog Pulls. What Do I Do?
    Author: Turid Rugass
    ISBN: 978-192924223-8
    RRP: $10.95 (around £6 on Amazon)
    Pages: 59! (and some of those are completely taken up with photos and a couple of lines of text)

OK, first impressions were : That's not a book - I've seen thicker CD cases than that! ::)

However, working on the basis that not only should you not judge books by their covers but you probably shouldn't judge them by their size either I tried not to let this initial disappointment put me off. ;)

The book focuses on one, and only one, area of dog training - how to get your dog to walk on it's lead without pulling. There is some initial preamble detailing how the author first came up with the idea for her method and then we get to the method itself and how to implement it. It's based around positive reinforcement techniques rather than negative 'corrections' or the use of particular training devices and is pretty simple (but then the best ideas often are).

I don't think that I should outline the method just in case there are copyright issues. However, I seem to recall that you can preview part of the book at Amazon and take a look at the outline of the method there. As it happens, I was already using something very similar (and I suspect that many of you are or have done too).

I have to say, even though we are still in the early stages with Harvey, I think it is gradually working and the pulling is becoming less frequent :) I think the method is sound and likely to be effective for many people. Whether it warrants trying to spread it out to make a whole (small) book about it I'm not sure. I suppose if the method works then its good use of £6 regardless of how it is presented.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: My Dog Pulls. What Do I Do? - Turid Rugass

I love that you are prompting us to talk about books - we don't do that enough!

I am a huge fan of this book(let perhaps). I loved the data from her initial study. I also loved her approach and descriptions of handling dogs - I think it made me more in tune with Charlie. Although she doesn't have data to support all her views, I am convinced by what she says, which played out in practice for us. A repeated about turn is a punishment for Charlie, and the techniques to reduce the stress on the dog were very valuable.

I found the techniques hugely useful, and not just for pulling (Charlie is a stopper, investigator, and stick-his-head-in-a-bin-and-refuse-to-mover).

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

This is on my bedside to be the next read now I've finished her Calming Signals Book.I've just been writing that our pulling is so much better but we have room to improve and I think you must have mentioned this lady to me Julie.
    I've also got 'The Other End Of The Leash -Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs' it came up in the Amazon suggestion section,so I thought what the heck!I'll let you know when I've read it x
    That author of the above is Patricia B Mconell PH.D x

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thanks for the review, UncleBob! Would you say that there are new ideas in the book (or booklet)?

That Patricia Mconnell book is good, Angela :) Hope you enjoy it.

5. UncleBob

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=4704.msg57954#msg57954 date=1393700766]
    ... This is on my bedside to be the next read now I've finished her Calming Signals Book...[/quote]

What was your assessment of that book? (Is there a review on the way? ;) )
    How many pages is it? ;D

6. UncleBob

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=4704.msg57935#msg57935 date=1393696218]
    ...I love that you are prompting us to talk about books - we don't do that enough! ...[/quote]

More to follow when I get chance (I swear I don't know where all the time goes!)

7. UncleBob

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=4704.msg57960#msg57960 date=1393701749]
    ...Thanks for the review, UncleBob! Would you say that there are new ideas in the book (or booklet)?...[/quote]

You're welcome. There is really only one method/idea - I think there have been variations on it by many of the YouTube trainers but it does a good job of formalising a plan of attack, so to speak.

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=4704.msg57960#msg57960 date=1393701749]
    Would you say that there are new ideas in the book (or booklet)?
    [/quote]

For you? No. For me? Absolutely.

I gave up all the ideas I had about no marking, no sniffing, no pooing unless I said. I gave up only on the left. I think I gave up route marching my dog!

I think after reading this book, I walk Charlie like you walk Obi.

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Now I really want to read it! :)