My dog snaps and growls at people and I don't know the trigger

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Vera&Buck, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Vera&Buck

Vera&Buck Registered Users

I own a charcoal lab Buck. He is 7 years old. He is my companion not a hunter. I have him since a puppy. About 3 years ago he snapped at me, showed his teeth and growled. I told him to lay down and he kept growling and his whole body was shaking. It happened on other occasions to me, my boyfriend and a couple of strangers. It comes out of blue usually when someone just touches him a certain way. He snaps and turns into a ball of nerves, growls, walks away and shakes. He would do it if I tried to wipe his mouth with a napkin, or my boyfriend touch him on his head, it was dark so I guess he scared him maybe...i don't know what causes it but it creates tension between us. Buck is on apoquel because he chews on his feet. He had skin disorder when he was young. He is a sweet dog and great companion but the snapping behaviour is bother some. He did not bite anyone yet. Can anyone here help or relate?

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Vera and Buck, welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry this problem is affecting your relationship with Buck - it does sound very stressful. I think he'd most benefit from a consultation with a force-free behaviorist who can observe him in person. Unfortunately complex behaviors like this are very difficult to fix over the internet!

Good luck, and do let us know how you get on!

Michael A Brooks likes this.