My dog was attacked

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Gus90, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Gus90

Gus90 Registered Users

Hi there my beautiful boy Gus was attacked 3 weeks ago off another Labrador who was off the lead (my dog was on the lead) he came charging over to us and bit a chunk off his face, he has since been on antibiotics for a week and also the deep wound stapled together. It is now a pink scar and I was wondering of any product recommendations I could apply to help reduce the scar and encourage hair growth back over it. Thanks

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I'm so sorry you and Gus had to go through that, I hope he makes a full recovery soon.

Dogs and ointments don't always mix - they can be inclined to rub them off, or lick them off, and ingest them.

If there's something suitable, your vet will be able to recommend it.

Bear in mind that the scar will fade naturally as it heals, and any hair which was shaved so that the vet could close the wound will grow back in, and hide the place where it was.

3. Athena

Athena Registered Users

Hello Gus,
    What a nasty thing to happen. Yikes.
    Speak to your vet about a referral for rehab. Or ask when you can start to gently massage the scars to prevent adhesions. While the staples are in and the wounds are healing, hands off I should think because the risk of infection is too great.

4. Gus90

Gus90 Registered Users

Thanks for your replies I really do hope the hair grows back in, it looks really bad at the moment, because it was so deep. So now the staples are gone it looks like a line with his fur either side

5. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Dogs heal remarkably well. This pic is of one of my girls and you could hardly see it at all then it healed.

Attached Files:

6. Gus90

Gus90 Registered Users

It is really getting me down that this has happened to my beautiful boy . I’m struggling to cope at the minute, everytime I look at him it reminds me of the horrible attack. How do you post a picture from my iPhone?

7. J.D

J.D Registered Users

You can either join as a supporter and just upload photos or look at the technical section at the bottom of the homepage to use a hosting site.

You are probably still in shock from the trauma to you both.
    I was going to post a photo this morning of my lab when he had his ear removed at 18 months but it kept saying file too large. A month later the fur was 70% back by 2 months completely. You will see how quickly he heals.

8. Gus90

Gus90 Registered Users

This is what it looks like at the minute, applying vetericyn hydrogel a few times a day

Photo didn’t work

9. Gus90

Gus90 Registered Users

10. Gus90

Gus90 Registered Users

11. Athena

Athena Registered Users

Gus, the wound looks great, especially for such early days. Wonderful pup letting you photograph him :)
    What happened to you when your dog was attacked?
    What of the other dog and its owner?

12. Gus90

Gus90 Registered Users

The owner of the other dog had to kick his dog off Gus coz he wouldn’t let go of him and he didn’t have a lead, so when I got Gus I just got out of there incase he came back at him again I didn’t realise how bad it was until I got round the corner when I checked him to see if he was alright

13. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

Owner of the biting dog should pay your vet bills. In the US you could and should file a complaint.

14. Gus90

Gus90 Registered Users

First time I’ve ever seen him and I’ve done that route for the last 3 years so hopefully I never see him again, but if I do I will be telling him

15. Athena

Athena Registered Users

Well done. Owners can get hurt too (don't ask me how I know this).
    Would you consider making a report to the local police? Having a dog off lead is one thing but having a dog with NO lead is something else. Hopefully he was just passing thru but a smaller dog or toddler could have been a tragedy. If you make a report, or whatever the local authorities suggest, if you see him again, you might be able to call and have the authorities get his name and information, which keeps you safe.

Hope the pup is doing well.