My drooling dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Laura & nelly, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Laura & nelly

Laura & nelly Registered Users

Hi I have a 6 month old lab. Recently she has started drooling excessively even tho no one is eating, to the point where there is a puddle on the floor. She is also becoming a little clingy which isn't like her at all. Is it normal for a lab to drool excessively ? I never thought they where the drooling type

2. MF

MF Registered Users

Our dog started drooling at 3.5 years old when he started epilepsy meds but only when he was waiting for food. Otherwise he doesn't drool.

3. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Check her mouth. She may have a broken tooth, bit of stick or other foreign object jammed between teeth or across the roof of her mouth, injury to her tongue or even a problem with a salivary gland. Could also be that she's feeling sick. If it continues I would get her checked by a vet especially seeing as she's being clingy.

4. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Just a thought, but bearing in mind she's only 6mths, could she of eaten something she shouldn't have?

5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Ditto @mandyb Think I might suspect a tooth or mouth or tummy problem too.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You really need to rule out a medical reason - as above, tooth or mouth problems, or eaten something that is making her feel ill.

Apart from that, people don't need to be eating to make a Labrador drool. There are all sort of cues that crop up in day to day life that makes a dog drool in the expectation of food.

There is an article here: http://www.thelabradorsite.com/why-does-my-dog-drool/