My frmale dog ran away with a male dog...

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Nero, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Nero

Nero Registered Users

Yep it happened. I went into the house to use the toilet and she was gone. I panicked and searched for her everywhere only to find her 30min later roaming with the neigbour's dog. He tried to mount her as well... I have no idea what they have been doing.

My worry is, can she become pregnant? Her first heat was in february (she turned 1 in march). She didn't seem interested in the dog mounting her (tail down and she kept walking) and her vulva looks normal? She obviously felt guilty of her escape because she went right into her doghouse and has been there for the last 2 hours. Should i take her to the vet to check her?

Never leaving my dog outside alone again. Not even for 2 minutes :(

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

So she's not in season?

3. Jessica Levin

Jessica Levin Registered Users

What happened with your pup? Same thing happened with Piper and I'm pretty sure she is pregnant. Her nipples are large and the vet assumes so. Of course they can check via X-Ray

4. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

If she wasn't in heat, then no, she can't be pregnant. If she kept walking away and kept her tail down, then it sounds like she wasn't accepting or receptive to this male. It's more a case that the male was a bit young or inexperienced or over-sexed and just tried to hump her. Heck, male dogs even try to hump other male dogs when they are playing.

Nope, you're projecting human feelings onto your dog. She doesn't feel guilty - she probably didn't enjoy the experience of being bullied by this male dog and felt intimidated by him, and she has retreated to what feels like a safe place until she feels better.

They can only check by x-ray in the last 2 weeks of pregnancy, when the bones have calcified enough to show up on an x-ray. By that time you will see from her huge belly that she is pregnant already, you won't need an x-ray to tell you that. Besides, exposing puppies in utero to x-rays is really inadvisable (just as it is for pregnant women!:( https://www.avidog.com/how-badly-do-we-need-to-know/

If you want to determine pregnancy, you can do an ultrasound instead around day 28 onwards.