My Lab Lilly is a licker

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by CarlySullivan, Jan 10, 2013.

1. CarlySullivan

CarlySullivan Registered Users

My 3yr old Lab Lilly is a licker and now she is teaching my 8 mth old Lab Rose to be a licker too. Is there anyway I can stop both of them from licking. Lilly (3yr old) constantly licks anyone and everyone, mostly on the knees but also your hands and if you happen to bend down and put on your boots your face as well. When we have visitors she drives them nuts and we are constantly telling her off. I have tried saying no (loudly) and also doing the ouch noise like it hurts but she just licks more. We are trying the citronella in a spray bottle but its hard as you always have to carry it around with you. I love her loads and love nothing more than to pat and cuddle her, but I cannot do that without being licked and now my 8mth old Rose is doing the same. Any ideas why she is doing this and any ideas how to make her stop? Or will she grow out of this? Is this normal for Labs?

2. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

Re: My Lab Lilly is a licker

Carly, I'm keen on hearing the responses to this also. It can become extremely annoying. McQueen does it all the time too !

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

It sounds like an attention seeking thing to me , she is saying I wont hurt you, please like me . Sorry I cant help, my boy rarely licks, only if I have been handling food ::)

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi Carly and welcome. If your Lilly is three and is still licking, then it doesnt sound as though she is going to grow out of this behaviour. She has presumably learned that licking you gets your attention, so you need to show her that this will no longer work for you. If she licks, say 'no' and stand up and ignore her for a moment or two. Praise her when she is NOT licking! And you will have to practise this with your pup too, since she seems to be learning the same unwanted behaviour...

5. CarlySullivan

CarlySullivan Registered Users

Thanks Karen, hearing it from someone else puts my mind at rest. I will start doing what you said right away. To be honest I was telling her no - but I wasn't following it up with the ignoring her.

I will start praising her more often when she doesn't lick and do the same for Rose as well.

Thanks again for the advice :)

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

You're welcome! Let us know how you get on. :D