My Labrador is having seizures

Discussion in 'Senior Labradors' started by Richard Curls, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Richard Curls

Richard Curls Registered Users

Hello all again. My 13 year old Lab Shadow started having seizures about a month ago. She has had two seizures during the past month. I have also noticed that her intermittent twitching and jerking has increased also. Two trips to the vet and they want to put her on potassium bromide. After all Shadow went through in 2017, I do NOT want to give her more pills. I am going to try holistic chinese herbs for her. I have read some incredibly positive reviews for the herbs. The ones I am going to try is the Pawhealer Arrest Wind-Phlegm, and then a special prescription from Ji Tan Tang. Both of these natural medications are supposed to be for seizures and jerking/twitching for dogs. Has anyone had any experience using similar herbs, and have they helped your pet? I am a nervous wreck and going through depression seeing my beautiful baby go through all this. I love her like one of my kids. I used to see commercials that would show sick childrwn and their distraught parents like Shriners or St. Judes). I can honestly say that I know how those parents feel. It is the most helpless, desperate, horrible feeling in this world when your child is hurting. Thank you everyone for listening.

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Starting to have seizures at this age is unlikely to be epilepsy, but could be. I would certainly try potassium bromide and I am afraid I wouldn't touch holistic Chinese herbs. I am so sorry this is happening, I had an epileptic dog and the seizures are so upsetting to see so I do understand how stressful this is for you.

3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Sorry to hear of the seizures Willow is suffering. Like @Stacia I would be following my vets advice and trying the potassium bromide which has a proven record of benefit. The Chinese herbs may sound good in the marketing or the anecdotal recommendations from users but is there any scientific evidence to prove their efficacy? If not I wouldn't trust my dog's well being to something scientifically unproven.

Stacia likes this.
  4. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Sorry to hear your sad news. I too would do what my vet advised. Hope all turns out well for you both.