My Labrador puppy is aggressive??

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Petrule Levente, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Petrule Levente

Petrule Levente Registered Users

Hi guys, I'm new in owning a dog and my 3 months old Puppy is getting aggressive is biting whenever I try to calm him. I'm aware of the fact that he is just playing, as I've read the topics on the forum, but any chance you could help me and tell me how to stop this behavior ?

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi There ,
    Welcome to the Forum.Your little pup is definately not aggressive and well done for not falling into the trap of thinking that ,it's easy to do because they can seem to really mean it when they go 'croco-pup bat crazy'
    How are you trying to calm him? A good approach is to stop all interaction and remove yourself if you can.Even trying to soothe them is attention to an overexcited pup.We had a gated off area from the kitchen and we could put our dog in there for a short while if he got a bit too much.I'd give him a stuffed kong to chew on,chewing is very calming for them.
    Mags (Boogie) handles a lot of puppies and she advises to always have a toy about your person to pop in their mouth to redirect their focus onto that rather than you.
    Have a look through our Puppy Board ...there is a lot of owners discussing similar problems and situations and pitching in ideas and support to help you come out the other side of this part of your puppy's life.
    Best Wishes
    Angela

3. Petrule Levente

Well, when 2 weeks ago sealing him away from us, like putting him on the bed in a room where I could close the door worked, but now he's able to jump down from the bed and it doesn't work anymore, and I don't rly have any alternatives to trap him since in every room is a possibility for him to destroy something, wires, bed corners, stealing toilet paper etc. I didn't tried the crate thing tho, I've been seeing on the site that it could be helpful. Also giving him threats would calm him, but that doesn't last long, and I don't want him to think that going on rampage would get him rewards. Yesterday I bought him a Kong and he pretty much loves it, especially when is filled, but I don't know how much am I allowed to give him a day, like I don't want him to eat all day either.

4. Petrule Levente

Since I don't want to start another thread, I would also like to mention that I haven't been able to house traing him yet, I'm living in a flat with my mom and every time I bring him outdoors, 3 times per day, he doesn't do anything, he awaits for us to go back inside and then he does his job. Recently, to minimize the the damage I managed to get him do his business on the balcony, I don't know if is a start or not...

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Using the balcony is a good start, but three times a day isn't enough for a three month old pup - they need to wee about once an hour at that age.

:)

Petrule Levente likes this.
  6. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

My puppy is 4 months and I got a crate before we bought her home, so she is used to that - mainly now just for the odd sleep and at night times or if I have to pop out. I used to pop her in there when she was biting a lot to calm her down too. We have a baby gate up at the kitchen door as I am not ready to give her the freedom of downstairs (we also have an older dog who needs her own space). The crate and the baby gate are brilliant.

Also I take her outside many times during the day right up to bedtime for a wee. I have to put her lead on as she now associates that with having a wee as opposed to going out to play. I guess your balcony is a start but would suggest you take him out there more frequently.

Petrule Levente likes this.
  7. Petrule Levente

Also I would like to mention another problem... He always starts biting while we eat at the table... And he barks and jumps on us if u you don't give anything to him, and this goes on for tens of minutes after we finish until he finally calms down, any advices eventually how could I make him let is finish eating in peace?

8. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Hello. I am also a novice dog owner and to some degree have had similar struggles to you. What we do with the kongs is we take part of Harley's normal food allowance for the day and we use that to stuff her kongs, usually with some wet food but that also counts into the normal food rations. That meant we could give her as many kongs as we wanted, granted it was within her food allowance. So when it came to supper or any meal time we used her playpen, we dont have a crate. It is portable and we would move it to the dining room or lounge, where ever were eating and when we sat down to eat Harls would go into her pen with a frozen kong or another tasty chewy, but it was mostly kongs. It wasnt too many weeks before we could put her 'calm down' blanket down and she would settle on that with her kong. The point was to distract her for long enough that there wasn't an opportunity for her to come to where we were eating.

selina27 likes this.
  9. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Here's where the crate comes in again. Ours is next to the table in the breakfast area of the kitchen, so as soon as we are ready to eat we put her in there - she knows the score now so will either sit and watch us or settle until we have finished (we also let the older dog in then as she has always sat under the table with us at meal times). She was fairly vocal when we first started to do it but it has become routine.

If we have people round, we go in the dining room and take her bed. I have her on her lead, settle her on her bed with a kong and put the lead under my foot. She didn't like this initially but at least I get to eat with everyone else.

selina27 likes this.