My latest guest star: Nanda the Galgo

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Emily_BabbelHund, May 24, 2017.

1. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Nanda was good as gold. Didn't make a peep, slept really well and didn't move off her special towel from home. She looked much brighter-eyed and happy this morning and no vomiting or diarrhoea. That's a very good sign as she was doing both (with blood) yesterday. She had a very lady-like wee in the garden and was able to walk on her own power to the car. For which I'm grateful, as carrying a large Galgo is a bit awkward, even if she is only 18 kgs at the moment.

The vet was really pleased at how well she looked vs. yesterday. She is back at the hospital for day to get IV fluids and antibiotics. I'll pick her up again at 8:30pm and know whether she needs a third day of hospitalisation tomorrow.

So far the vet still thinks it is a case of gastroenteritis gone bad, which is very good news for Nanda as that is treatable. We really feared the worst yesterday, so what a relief!

Xena Dog Princess and MF like this.
  2. Emily_BabbelHund

Total stork, especially when you see her standing up with only the one back leg. :D

3. Emily_BabbelHund

We had her in the vet's yesterday for her ultrasound and the vet doing the procedure starts saying all sorts of sweet things to her like how pretty she is. Then she stops, actually LOOKS at Nanda and says, "OK, well, maybe you AREN'T really that pretty, but you are a very GOOD dog and that's more important anyway."

So...you're not the only one who finds her a bit funny looking. :D

4. Emily_BabbelHund

Well, my stork-dog friend Nanda is back in my bed this evening. I picked her up from the vet at 9pm and they said she needs another day of being on IV fluids/meds tomorrow. Her mama is not too happy and is missing her and I'm pretty sure Nanda would like to fly the coop as well, poor girl.

She was able to eat a tiny bit today at the vet's but apparently promptly threw it up again. They gave me some special wet food to give her a tiny bit of tonight but she wouldn't even look at it. She stopped eating a week ago and she was already the skinniest dog I've ever seen. You can practically see every bone she's got. :(

On the bright side, she got out of the car on her own and walked on her own half way to my front door before I had to pick her up. She also tried to get on the couch by herself when I was making up her bed upstairs, sassy girl. :) She also looks quite regal and relaxed now that she's ensconced on my bed.

We'll try again with the vet food tomorrow morning. I can't really blame her for not eating it as it smells like bad cat food. Berk! :eek: I'm sorely tempted to whip up a Brogan Special Dodgy Tummy meal!

MF and drjs@5 like this.
  5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Stog?
    Dork?

Poor girl, I hope she starts eating soon. I'd also be tempted to try to get any type of food in her!

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  6. Emily_BabbelHund

Well, our Stog (thank you, @snowbunny ) is doing MUCH better this morning. She had a very good night with no vomiting and lots of sleeping and/or enjoying the frog noises from the patio. She watched my morning exercises with a look of elegant boredom on her face. This is in stark contrast to little man Alf (Toby) who would actively participate by standing on my back during planks or jumping onto my stomach during sit ups. Bless him, a personal trainer par excellence, he was. :rolleyes:

Nanda had a bit to eat and drink this morning (yay!), a massive and completely normal wee in the garden (yay!) and then jumped onto my sofa all by herself (double yay!). She is known at home as the Queen of the Sofa, so I did a little happy dance seeing her sassy enough to claim her rightful place at my house.

She made it all the way to the car by herself and then stood up for the ride to the vet, bumping my arm to ask for pets.
    She'll be at the vet again all day today on IV fluids but I think we can safely say "The girl is BACK!". :monkey:

Screenshot 2017-05-26 10.44.24.png
    Screenshot 2017-05-26 10.44.52.png

MF, Nikki1, Kelsey&Axel and 8 others like this.
  7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

That's really grand news to read x

8. snowbunny

Well done, Emily, lovely to read :)

She is certainly one peculiar looking girl, but sounds a right sweetheart.

9. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Great news :cancan:

10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think she's beautiful!

Keep improving, lovely stog, Nanda xx

:hug:

11. Emily_BabbelHund

I've always heard Galgos were such sweethearts, and Nanda has certainly reinforced that stereotype. A really fascinating breed - could definitely see me ending up with one of my own some day! :)

12. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Glad she's on the mend, she looks slightly less stork-like in those last two photos, and less lanky than in the very first one you posted, has she put on a little bit of weight?

13. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Honestly, I think you need to buy a farm with all of the dogs you're going to have ;):D

drjs@5 and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  14. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

YES!

If you do please can I come and stay with all the puppers :D

15. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Poor Nanda, she must be feeling rotten with such an empty tummy. Paws crossed that she can go home this evening and get some proper tucker in her.

16. Emily_BabbelHund

Unfortunately, I think that's mainly just the effect of a different camera angle. She managed only a few spoonfuls of wet food yesterday at the vet's. On the other hand, she was dehydrated on Wednesday (she'd stopped drinking in addition to eating) and they've been pumping her full of fluids for two days now, so maybe she looks a little "plumper" due to all that water. :)

17. Emily_BabbelHund

I think I better start with just one for now...that already would be a drastic improvement.

But if I DID have a farm, I'd have a Rottie and a Lab and Spanish mastiff and a Bodeguero and a Galgo. Oh, and a chihuahua mix who would rule them all. ;)

MF, Kelsey&Axel and drjs@5 like this.
  18. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I'm seriously getting twitchy for another dog. I don't know how you can stand it.

19. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I've gone off the idea again now :(

I like the idea of it but Stanleys such a delight now and I appreciate him so much, I don't know if I can be bothered again.

I'm hoping OH just comes home with a puppy one day :D

Xena Dog Princess and drjs@5 like this.
  20. snowbunny

Sounds like you need to puppysit again :)

JenBainbridge likes this.