My latest guest star: Nanda the Galgo

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Emily_BabbelHund, May 24, 2017.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good luck.
    Hope you have a peaceful night :D

2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hope you have an uneventful night, Emily...

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hehe, this gave me a good belly-laugh :D

I could not deal with the slobber. Willow and Luna drool when waiting for food, but that's it. I have a friend with a boxer, and they carry a towel with them wherever they go to wipe his face. He's a lovely dog, but I just couldn't cope!

4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

We have a husband, wife & son at training with 2 English Mastiffs & a Spanish Mastiff x. Towels are essential accessories. The slobber from all 3 - well the 2 English Mastiffs in particular - is terrifying. Beautiful, lazy, slow dogs - but oh that slobber!

5. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

My first Rottie had a massive head and an overbite, which meant serious slobber. Didn't bother me at all. Last night with Tiger, about the fifth time he "checked on me" during the night by basting me with his tongue, I kind of just wanted to cover my head with a raincoat and beg for mercy. :confused:

He has lovely soft fur and big soft ears though, so I did enjoy some very nice (if wet) cuddles. Like a big squishy (slightly damp) teddy bear. :D

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

:D:D

But will you make it to bed together? :$

7. Emily

Emily Registered Users

:cwl::cwl::cwl:

8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

They are apparently using snail slime as a beauty treatment are you trying to do that kind if thing with doggy drool you could make a futune:D

9. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Hope it's a peaceful night on the sofa... and there's no more chicken in your hair!

10. Emily_BabbelHund

I thought I should close out my short adventures with Nanda by reporting that our Stog (Stork Dog) is doing very well. I took her and her human back to the vet on Monday for a final check and she didn't even need any additional medications to take at home. That morning she had actually deigned to get off her sofa throne and stole one of the other dog's food from his bowl, which is rather the opposite of her normal behavior (Nanda NEVER gets off her throne). So I think we can safely say "All's well that ends well" for Nanda the Stog. :)

Big Black Beast Tiger also went home on Monday. He was THRILLED to be back on the ranch with his foster person and his six doggie siblings. That poor dog, it was a stressful (not even) 24 hours with me!

To be honest, I do think that perhaps by asking me to take him overnight, his foster person thought I would change my mind and decide to adopt him. In point of fact, the experience made it MUCH easier for me to feel that I'd already made the right decision.

He is a wonderful big baby, but so very fearful of SO many things. I do think with much work he could get over that, but I don't think he's ever going to be really happy and comfortable too far out of his own space. He's a homebody and that's totally ok - but just about the opposite of what I need my dog to be. Dog Planet (the rescue group who had Alf/Toby the Bodeguero) will continue to search for the right home for him and he will continue to stay with his foster human, where he has been happy and loved since 10 weeks old.

So in addition to not being able to go up the stairs, another fear was my evil Honda Jazz. Bad car, BAAAAAD! :eek: Even though we've been working for literally months to get him in the car, AND we practiced getting in the car, turning on the engine, driving a few feet and letting him out again AND there was copious amounts of liver and chicken breast involved in ALL of this, the car remains the Big Bad for Tiger.

The only way I was able to get him into the car on my own was to get in the rear drivers side, walk through the car luring with chicken, exit out the passenger side, hold Tiger's head so he couldn't escape the passenger side door, close the door as quickly and firmly as possible without catching big old mastiff tongue and then...

:idea: RUN around the back of the car as FAST as possible and CLOSE the driver's side door that was (of course) still open.

Thank all the doggie gods that Tiger was a bit slow and NEVER figured out that all he had to do was take one step backwards go back out the door he came in through. Otherwise, I would have never gotten him in that car.

I did kind of get the impression that he doesn't REALLY realise that his back legs are part of his body. "Backing up" or even a "tight turn" do not seem part of his repertoire. On the stairs, for example, after he got up the three that he DID managed, instead of turning around, he just belly slid backwards to get back to the first floor.

:facepalm:

In addition to the terrifying experience of my house and its dastardly stairs, we did actually make it to the beach - Tiger's first trip. He walked SO slow - he seemed to want to pee on every plant and smell everything. And why not? All that new stuff!

He didn't do so well with other dogs - especially Bodegueros - Toby seems to have made a rather permanent impression on him! :rolleyes: But he did really well with people, basically ignoring them. This is a biggie as the first time I met him, he was terrified of me - in other words, he takes a while to warm up. So baby steps of progress for Mr. Tiger.

Except for Bodegueros - he just straight out wants to eat them and leave the bones in his teeth for a warning to any others who may cross his path! :D

Screenshot 2017-05-31 21.17.49.png

Screenshot 2017-05-31 21.16.58.png

11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I love his face , he is divine, your big slobber lump x

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  12. Emily_BabbelHund

I agree - I think he is simply gorgeous. :inlove:

kateincornwall likes this.
  13. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh just look at him! Gorgeous big boy! :)

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Beautiful face :)

15. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Lovely boy :heart:

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Ah he's lovely, my kind of dog :inlove: xx

17. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Please tell me that Tiger is pronounced Tee-gair? I imagine that's how a Spaniard would say it. He definitely looks like a Tee-gair.

18. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Aww what a guy! Hope he finds a forever home but at least he has a foster home until then.

19. Emily_BabbelHund

He's been with his foster mama on the ranch since 10 weeks old so according to him, he IS in his forever home. :)

But she does have six other dogs (four "forever" and currently three fosters) so the ideal would be to have Tiger find a different home. I so wish that could have been me, but for many reasons, he's just not my dog. Going to be very hard to say goodbye in a couple weeks when I leave Spain, though. I've been visiting Tiger for at least twice a week for three months now, I'm very attached to and his big sister dog, mastiff Nora.

Nanda the Stog is of course also in the same doggie family, but funnily enough I only saw her once in all the months of visits prior to her getting sick and having her sleepovers with me. She always stayed on her throne of a sofa indoors and never came out with the other dogs to say hello. Such a regal girl! ;)

20. Emily_BabbelHund

He answers to "Tiger" but also "Tigre" (Tee-grey) the Spanish version. His foster person is Norwegian, so I imagine he also has a Norwegian version of his name, too. Maybe that's why he forgets he has a backend and back legs - all his brain power goes into to trying to remember his various names. :D