My lovely rescue black retriever

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Martinb, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Martinb

Martinb Registered Users

Hello and I'm Martin from the north of England - I'm new to the Forum and seeking advice from all you Lab lovers

5 months ago I obtained Millie from a registered breeder - a four year old female black retriever that has never produced puppies (I was told she never come on heat fully)
    I was sad she lived in kennels for years and happy to give her a new home alongside my friendly older dog and two cats

Six weeks ago Millie unexpectedly came on heat yet coped well with this and on the advice of the vet she will be spayed in a few months time to remain a loving pet

At first she was quite shy, easy spooked and it took a few weeks before she became house trained and calm - she is very friendly, responds well to training and loves cuddles

At first she regularly raced round the garden,chased balls and was extreme active
    This has now changed and although Mille is walked daily and has lots of attention she chooses to spend most of her time sleeping or snoozing through the day- She appears quite content yet does respond quickly to going for a walk or the the arrival of any food!
    I have read that Lab are active dogs require much exercise and wonder if her laziness is abnormal behaviour for her breed as she is not overweight and has no known health issues ?

Millie also whines if left for a few minutes or if someone leaves the room or even if one of the cats walks by - This can be a brief episode or may last some time such as through the night
    I wonder how can be resolved as I have already tried techniques recommended for separation anxiety without success - Or could the sleeping and whining simply be part of her personality?

Any advice or tips will be appreciated

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

My labrador bitches are all super lazy and will happily sleep all day, but are raring to go when it's time for walkies. Some labs are just plain lazy :)

sarah@forumHQ likes this.
  3. Martinb

Martinb Registered Users

Thanks for the info Sarah and you have eased my mind on this - she certainly responds quickly to walks and any food of course