My puppy is stronger than I....need leash help!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by LouieLab, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouieLab

LouieLab Registered Users

hi!
    LouDog just turned a year old and is crazy strong- en English yellow lab, he weighs almost 65kilos in muscle I have tried everything to get him to not pull so much on the leash but to no avail. Clicker training, special treats, antipull harness, gentle lead harness etc etc. But he's SO strong so even if he pays attention a minute- which he doesn't- as soon as he wants to pee or chase a leaf, I'm dragged like a rag doll. He has no interest in the treats even if it's bacon.. he sniffs the ground like no dog I've ever had and honestly doesn't even hear me call or I don't even know if he knows I'm there. Desperate to say the least- help??:)

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

65kg? Are you sure?! That's ridiculously heavy. How tall is he?!

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Do you mean in lbs not kgs?

4. LouieLab

Oh sorry! Converted wrong- I mean in kilos (I live in Norway)-but it's about 55 kilograms- he's regular height? His back is 65 inches from the floor:)

5. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Have you considered a specific leash walking training class? Sounds like you've tried a lot of things, but if he's only a year old probably haven't done something consistently and proofed it. Loose leash for us is a continuous thing - we are good in our neighbourhood but somewhere new and exciting, starting from scratch. There are lots of training articles on the main site:

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/how-to-stop-your-labrador-pulling-on-the-lead/

6. snowbunny

55kg is still massive. He's very tall (assuming you mean 65cm not inches!!) as the breed standard in the UK is males 21.5inches to 22.5inches from floor to withers (base of neck) and 65cm would be 25.5inches. Even so, 55kg does sound very, very heavy. Can you see a defined waist? Can you feel his ribs without pressing?

That aside, I agree with Ashley. At a year of age, it's unlikely that his lead walking would be 100% even with absolute consistency of method. He's got a lot of crazy hormones whizzing around as he's in the peak of adolescence.
    I would recommend sticking with whatever method you choose, but don't try to go anywhere on lead. Make lead walking all about training, even if that is just walking back and forth on the 10m of path directly outside your house. When he can manage that, make it 15m. Then 20m. And so on. Meanwhile, for exercise, drive him to off-lead areas where you can just let him out of the car.

7. LouieLab

Haha sorry my math is awful- 65cm of course!!

8. LouieLab

By lead you mean loose longer leash? And to just keep him on regular leash/ harness until then? His physique is good- ribs and all muscles:)

9. LouieLab

Thank you. We will keep on trying... do you have preferences to harness or collar? Still learning here:)

10. snowbunny

No, "lead" is what we Brits call a leash :)
    If he can't walk on a short leash, he won't be able to walk on a long one, either. Moreso, it'll give him enough momentum to really get his stride! So, for now, stick to training on areas you can be successful but don't have to go anywhere, and the rest of the time for his exercise, drive him to places he can run free, without a leash.

Something like the handle leash I have for my adults might help you. It's so short, they can't dart off with the same effect. They don't walk on leash often, but I'm in the UK at the moment (generally live in Andorra) and so have to be leashed more and in very exciting areas, so we're practicing, too! This is what I have, and it's great: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01724YVUG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It's not for "taking them for a walk", because the rule is, when it's on, they can't sniff anything, drop their heads etc. So they still need to be able to do that, and I only use this for about ten minutes at a time, but it's definitely a help.

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  11. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

We always use a harness when walking on leash, as I do not like the pressure on her throat with a flat collar in instances where she pulls. The harness is not anti-pull - just a padded back fastening one that doesn't rub her arm pits:

https://www.juliusk9.ca/collections...ducts/idc-powerharness-size-2-black-16idc-p-2

12. LouieLab

Thank you both!!! We don't have off leash area around but I'll stick to short leash and harness and in the woods I'll allow him on a very long leash which I leave on ground only to step on if anyone comes by. And perhaps I'll start weight training:):)

13. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

@LouieLab I use a Hurrta lead, which has a built in short handle. I've found it really good when I need her really close and no sniffing. I also only use it for short periods of time.

14. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

This is my all-time favourite leash, the 8-way (also known as a German lead in the US:( https://boldleaddesigns.com/shop/8-way-lead-6-ft-multi-functional-leash/

Length-wise it can go from very short (though not as short as the one @snowbunny recommended) to very long. I trained my dog so that if I had the leash in hands-free mode over my shoulder (like a messenger bag strap) he knew he had to do a tight heel and no sniffing but if I put it in long leash mode he could have a good sniff and ramble. If you're having some control issues it's also good as you can attach it to your dog's collar plus a harness for extra safety.

Would love to see some pictures of LouDog - he sounds like a massive bear of a boy! :)

15. Dawn_Treader

Dawn_Treader Registered Users

Hello Norway, IMHO Just using a good harness and leash will not solve your problems. I have a whole cupboard full. I can relate to your problem, and my body has been through the ringer. I often threw Mocha's leash over a fence post or wrapped it quickly around a street lamp when I saw a distraction coming to simply give my arm a break. It was really bad. I even began to train with a police dog trainer, who made the whole problem worse and he punished my dog. I will never be able to forgive myself for this, but I was truly at my wit's end. Then I read about and applied the practice of getting your dog's attention and upping your value as handler in your dog's eyes. This is the key to getting a strong willed dog under control. At least it worked for me. My dog self rewarded, and I was happy to let her do so off leash so I could breath and rest my arm. I soon found that playing on the lead(leash)with her can also capture her attention. Once I got her attention, it was a new ball game, and I could guide her. Try shaking a toy in front of his nose and play tug-a-war to get him to focus on you while you are out for a walk. Take quick steps or run backwards calling him in a playful way to get him to chase you. Then go forward, repeat. Mine loves this. Go to an enclosed fenced in place and train, play with him for 5 minutes to get his attention, then train with very special treats like sausages, pieces of fish and liver. Warm them up and put them in a thermos. Make sure he is hungry. Are you feeding him before your walks? Make sure he is on the verge of super super hunger. Try walking in one direction and when you hear him his footsteps, call his name and throw a treat over your shoulder. Turn around and go the other direction. There are many variation to this training. Train for 5 minutes. Then try your walk for 5 minutes, repeat the whole process. Always chat with him and make cooing sounds when he starts to disconnect from you while on the lead. When I saw a distraction coming (another dog for example) I began to chat away with great animation to get her to focus on me. I sound like the village idiot on our walks, but hey my arm is now working again.
    Search the forum. There are great ideas, techniques and endless resources in here that have helped Mocha and I. I found the gundog training very helpful too, or working with a clicker. Since he loves to sniff, maybe give him a break to let him sniff too. Then back to work. Keep your voice gentle use his name when giving a command. This is my personal experience. Praise him and praise him again when he looks at you on the lead.

I am rooting for you Norway and don't be discouraged. It is an opportunity to be closer to your dog. Let us know how it progresses. Any questions you have will quickly get answered by the wonderful people using this forum.

Cheers! Your Swiss neighbor!

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/walking-your-labrador-on-a-loose-lead/

16. snowbunny

It's very similar to the Halti lead I use, but in posh leather. I'm a cheapskate :cwl:

17. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

That works just as well! I just wanted to add a link in there because people usually say "Huh?" when I say and 8-way or German lead. Though I do have a soft spot for Bold Lead Designs as the owner, Katrina, made Brogan's assistance dog harness years ago.

snowbunny likes this.
  18. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

19. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I bought a Grippy Lead (@SwampDonkey 's recommendation) http://www.grippyleads.co.uk/product/6-loop-grippy/- there are several loops all the way down the length, giving you a choice of 5 (or 6) lengths. You can easily hold the lead in 2 hands if extra grip needed for a strong lunger. It's made of a lovely, soft webbing. In fact we have 2 - I have a 6-loop one, OH a 5-loop. This is easily my favourite lead.

20. snowbunny

That's a really cool lead! Great idea :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.