My puppy is stronger than I....need leash help!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by LouieLab, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boogs83

boogs83 Guest

My dog afraid of me

2. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Axel is an absolute monster on the lead and he's incredibly strong. But he's such a monster because I wasn't as repetitive with my lead training when he was a puppy. We mainly only did off leash walking. Lately I have been only doing lead training and you know what, it's been incredibly hard and takes a lot of patience, but the reward of positive training is wonderful. Our bond over the last month has grown immensely. He used to be my 'Husbands' dog, but now he's hands down mine, and I believe that it's because of all of our positive training and happy lead walking.

He gets out of the house, he gets treats and happy pets and cuddles through out the walk. What's better than that? No shocks, no yanking on his neck. We still have a ways to go but we are both happy, and he's not scared, he's excited and happy to be with me exploring.

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Here you go - https://www.guidedogs.org.uk/news/b...december/it-s-all-about-the-dogs#.WKCCW5HfWfA

:)

snowbunny likes this.
  4. boogs83

boogs83 Guest

Well we have just returned from a 2 hour walk in the woods, followed by dinner at the local and if my dog is scared of me or the way he is trained then so be it! Personally I think he is happy as can be rolling around in the mud, finishing off my roast and getting fussed by everyone in the pub! I did see two lovely red labs pulling this poor little women along the pavement though, she had these wonderful leads that went round the dogs mouths. made me chuckle.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

No-one said your dog was scared of you. We said you were using fear (of the pain) to stop him doing something you didn't like. Which, in my opinion, is unacceptable. It's your prerogative, though, if you should choose to hurt your dog. He's your property.

charlie likes this.
  6. boogs83

boogs83 Guest

Please read my post how do I hurt my dog? I said he never gets shocked but has learnt to listen to what's right or wrong by the warning tone that you can send! It's a bleep how can that hurt anything

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I have read as much information as I can about shock collars. None if it is good the use of them is very damaging and stressful for dogs. Our dogs are in our care they don't deservedly be abused in this way. All the things you describe can be solved with training. Can you really say you think its ok to inflict pain on you dog? I would do some research and investigation and gave a think about what you are doing. People on this site are a normally nice bunch they don't get upset usually. if you feel picked on I'm sorry but people get upset about shock collars with good reason.
    you are hurting your dog your relationship with your dog and dehumanising yourself. Go and take a look .
    My one rule in my life us do no harm. You can't say that, you know in your heart of hearts its wrong why don't you stop and explore another way of doing things. You have a choice sadly your dog does not.

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

You said :

So, you said you had used the shock. Even if it was in the past, you hurt your dog. Now you "only" need to us the tone, because it tells the dog, "if you don't stop that, you're going to get hurt". Even if you never have to use it again, it's still punishment and you're using fear to control your dog.

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Can I draw your attention to the Forum Rules here.
    The @editor has the right in this case.

Moderator Note: 3. Advice to others

Advice to others should be relevant and appropriate. This is especially important when it comes to health, safety, and welfare.

a) health advice

This forum supports and promotes evidence-based medicine. This does not mean we cannot discuss alternative therapies, we can. But claims for their efficacy need to be supported. Ideally with links to the relevant research

In the same way, members disputing the efficacy of mainstream veterinary treatments need to support their claims in a reasonable manner.

Please note that in the UK, where this forum is based, it is illegal for anyone other than a veterinary surgeon to diagnose or prescribe treatment for, another person's pet.

b) training advice

This forum supports and promotes positive reinforcement training. Members may not advise others to use painful punishments on their dogs, nor promote the use of punishment in dog training by posting anecdotes which endorse the use of such punishment.

We don’t want to create a situation where people cannot even mention the word ‘aversive’ or discuss the way in which aversives are generally used in dog training. But if such discussions are dominating the group or creating bad feeling, moderators may remove the entire thread.

10. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I just don't understand why you would want to hurt your dog :(

It's no better than hitting him really. I wouldn't punch my friend in the face everytime they did something that annoyed me.. so I wouldn't shock my dog either.

Has my dog got the best recall? No, not by a long shot. But that's my failures, not Stanleys. Why should he get the pain. But I never let him off the lead anywhere near a road, always an enclosed park/nature area or the beach and we'll continue to work through total recall until it's 100% reliable.

He doesn't pull on the lead 90% of the time, only when he sees something new or wants to say hello to a person or a dog. He's got a harness and a lead and just trots along next to me, having a sniff and getting lots of treats for being a good boy.

I've never punished him and I never will. I once squirted him with water, not even as a punishment I was just playing and thought he might like it since he loves water so much, and he looked so shocked and unsure for a little while I couldn't believe it. So I don't know how anyone could do anything worse :(

11. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

I am aware that in the USA and elsewhere, the use of electricity and of positive punishment in general to train dogs, is common place. I don't want to judge people for this behavior because for many years it was the only way that was widely understood, to change canine behavior effectively. And not everyone in the world is yet up to speed on the latest developments in dog training.

However, nowadays, we all have access to experienced and successful trainers that can show us how to change our dogs' behavior without pain. We do have an ethos here of not promoting punitive training methods, so it isn't okay to promote the use of e-collars to other forum members.

I'd like to thank all the forum members for their restrained and polite responses. And thank you Jac for drawing attention to the rules.

Dawn_Treader likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.