My pups been born

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by PaulaG, Sep 7, 2015.

1. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

I am like a kid at Christmas time today! My Lab puppy has finally been born, we've got 3 chocolate boys to pick from, both Mum and pups doing well. I am just so excited. Going to re-read "The Happy Puppy" and order "Total Recall" and a clicker training book, and then I'll get started on my "list", I do love my lists :)

I can't wait to see some pictures from our breeder, and then we can visit from the 25th. I've broke the news to both Misty(Cavalier) and Jerry(cat) but neither seem very impressed :rolleyes:

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

This may be the longest eight weeks of your life! And how will you ever choose?????? :D

3. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Yay, congratulations, how exciting, I'm really happy for you. Get that list going and the puppy proofing lol. Happy reading, Paula. Looking forward to seeing photos and finding out what you call him. All the best.

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hooray, new puppy photos to look forward to! Congratulations!! :)

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Exciting times

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Congratulations!
    HaPpY BiRtHdAy new forum-dog to be :)

7. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

It will be the longest 8 weeks, but god knows how we're going to pick one. We've never picked a puppy before, Murphy was the only one not spoken for, and Misty is a rescue. Help, lol.

And don't get me started on the name, Hubby refuses to pick until we've picked the little guy, and as someone who loves being organised it's driving me crazy:confused:

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sooo exciting . As soon as I picked Harley up she snuggled into me and I fell in love. I had picked up several and played with them, but she caught my heart . I'm sure you will feel the same

9. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

Thanks Ternaya, I hope I feel the same when I pick up the "one" :)

10. BeataK

BeataK Registered Users

So exciting :) Can't wait to see the pics :)

11. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

We didn't have to pick as ours was the one not spoken for, he had been chosen but then they had to back out. I'd have been a nightmare had I been in a position to choose, I'd have probably ended up with 7 as the breeders kept 2.

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

What an exciting time! I bet you can't wait to see pictures - make sure you share them as soon as you get them. I found choosing such a hard thing to do; all the puppies were absolutely lovely! There were a couple that had already been spoken for that were complete lunatics that we would have avoided had they been available, but the three that were left were all such bundles of cuteness and fun.

I've heard lots of stories of puppies being the ones that choose - when my sister went to choose a Staffie puppy form a litter, one brought her a plastic hammer and dropped it in her lap, so that was an easy choice. It wasn't the case with us, sadly, and it was one of the hardest decisions ever! At the end of the day, though, you get to spend time playing with three gorgeous pups to try to work out which is "yours" and playing with pups can never be a bad thing :)

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Congratulations!!! How hugely exciting :)

14. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

I'll have photo's by the end of the week :)

That's the puppy crate bought(2nd hand small to start us off), clickers ordered, 2 more books ordered.

Still to buy:
    Collar
    Tag
    Harness
    Lead
    Bed
    Small bowls
    Puppy Kongs
    Puppy toy's
    New treat bag (Old ones nearly in bits)
    Vet bed

Already got:
    Poop bags
    Travel water dish
    Baby gates x 3
    Food storage bin

We've been thinking of getting a play pen too, any recommendations on size?

15. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Love a bit of shopping for a puppy, such fun!!!

I would add a bit of vet bed to your list. It's really cushiony and most* pups won't eat it. It washes well and dries quickly. I use it in the back of the car too.

* some pups will eat anything though, my chewy spaniel is still only sleeping on vet bed ;)

16. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

Added thanks :)

17. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

Oh one thing I ment to ask. We both work, Stuart works Mon - Fri 8 till 16:49, and I do 3 days 14 till 20:30.

Overnight, and the 3 hours our pup will be home alone he will be crated. We've never crated our previous 2 dogs so it's new to us. Overnight am I right in saying the water should be lifted? What do you put water in when you crate during the day? A heavy ceramic bowl? Or do you get something to clip on the crate?

He won't be alone for the 3 hours to begin with, my father-in-law will pop over for pee breaks until he's old enough to be left.

18. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

As to choosing.....I was last on the list and got the last one!! had wanted a female.....got a male.....and I wouldn't change him for anything. My belief: you get from your pup what you put into him/her. Yes, they all have different personalities but I do also believe that ALL labs are loving, friendly, funny, exhausting, great companions, challenging, wonderful! As to vet beds.....mine chewed it the very first night he was home, so it went out and he has slept on the metal floor of crate, tile floors and now HIS sofa.
    You are going into a most fabulous stage.....choosing a new puppy and bringing him/her home....be prepared to be exhausted, exasperated, but inspired by the intelligence of these dogs. Cooper is my first (and probably my only) dog.
    I am old as the hills and he has rejuvenated my life.....true, my knees are not doing too great, but that can be corrected. So, I envy the anticipation you will have.....enjoy every minute of it. It all goes soooo fast. :p:p

19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I never left water overnight when mine were crated; I know some people do, but since they're asleep, there doesn't seem much point - plus, while their bladders are small, you don't want them filling them and then needing to go. I think it's one more thing they can make mischief with, too, if they wake up and get bored.

I didn't start leaving them crated during the day for a while - I'm lucky in that I work from home - but I would have thought if he's only being left for a short time (which he should be whilst so young - he needs company most of the time), then he shouldn't need water in with him. I think Julie has said that she uses a cast iron pan, or something similarly heavy, for when Charlie has been on crate rest after surgery.

20. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

I just received this picture from the breeder:
    [​IMG]

I picked her up wrong, there are three male chocolate puppies, but we're last on the list, so we wont have to worry about picking one after all. She says she prefer's to match the puppy to the family anyways. We're going to visit for the first time on the 28th, so I'll be taking more pictures then :D