My training with Cupar

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by Cupcase, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Re: My training with Cupar

It sounds like we are having the same kind of problems. I too would be doing a happy dance if Rolo returned with anything I threw and dropped it for me. I have the same issues at our doggy training classes as Rolo is so much bigger than the other dogs, my trainer does adult classes from 9 months old. It's such a shame he can't play as he wants to because there are so many toy breeds that he would just squash. Lol.

2. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

I would give Rolo time regarding the retrieve. Cupar is 9 months and only started a couple of weeks ago to go and get the ball never mind bring it back. So he's got a three month start on Rolo.

As for the dog training, I have issues regarding so called " dog trainers" , any numpty can claim to be one.
    This is a problem for me as I do not trust any of them, but I know I need to get Cupar in a controlled environment to help with his jumping up on people. Unfortunately I don't have many friends who understand dogs, or how to behave around them to set up training sessions. Hence trying the classes and hopefully managing to shut my mouth long enough for Cupar to learn how to greet strangers, or rather not to greet strangers.

It shouldn't matter what size of dog is in a class as they should all be on a lead, after all it's a training class not a puppy party. OK rant over.

3. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Rant away! If you can't rant on here where can you rant! At the end of our first new training session the trainer asked for dogs to be taken off their leads and have a few minutes playing together. I took Rolo's lead off and I feel he was a good boy but the owners of the dogs he was playing with obviously didn't and were tryong to recall them away so next week I'm not going to bother with that part it only stresses me out which lasts well into 4 days later being annoyed by it! He has interacation with a 3 year old choc lab, a 4 year old black lab and a year old spaniel and he learns so much from his time with them I don't need him to learn to be social with toy breeds! Hope that makes sense and doesn't sound nasty.

4. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

Oh I feel your pain with that one.

Cupars last puppy party was full of teeny tiny small breeds , I got the same reaction or rather Cupar did, poor boy wasn't interested in them, it was the food toys he was after, when the wee ones chased him he would accidentally stand on them, you can imagine the reaction from the owners of the wee ones.

Most of the owners of small breeds think their dogs are precious, well I can tell them, my 23kg 9 month labrador is precious as well.

To go to a training class and let a bunch of tiny terrors free reign amid a big blundering breed puppy is in my idea of accident waiting to happen. Before anyone thinks I have anything against small breeds, I don't. It's the typical owner of them that has the problems. Cupar was nearly a cairn terrier, only we couldn't find litters near us that I would have looked at.

I don't blame you for keeping Rolo on the lead at the end of training, I would as well.

Well I can definitely say that Cupars name can not be used for recall. I was ignored today in the field, totally deaf. I kind of knew it , but today confirmed it. I wasn't even using it for recall, I only wanted to get a couple of photos but the slurry sprayed field was much, much more exciting than sitting for a boring photo.

I think I'm going to find a name I can use for recall, just in case I wver forget the whistle.