My year and three month old lab still bites!

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Abbey Williamson, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Abbey Williamson

Abbey Williamson Registered Users

My lovable lab Neeko turned a year in December and is still biting! But it is only me. I have tried not giving him attention, distracting him with toys , pretty much everything. If I tell him no he gets more aggressive. At night he tries to climb in my lap to cuddle, but is not allowed on the furniture. This is when most of the biting occurs. Then I tell him no and he jumps on me and the couch and starts biting me until I just have to put him in his kennel. And he is a pretty big pup so it is really starting to hurt! Whenever I try to correct him he always runs from me like we are playing! But he listens to my boyfriend no problem. I know my boyfriend was a lot more aggressive with Neeko to get him to listen, and I tried to do the same but he just thinks I'm playing. I need some help so any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

2. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Sounds like he's pestering you for attention. My boy does this as well, in the form of nibbling on me, shoving his head in my lap, etc. The only thing that works is doing the opposite of what he wants - taking away my attention completely. I either fold my arms and turn my back on him completely, and he'll then go settle down, or if that doesn't work, put him out of the room for a bit (we don't have space for a crate). When he comes back in, he settles down.

This is after making sure all of his needs are met - play, exercise, training, food, bathroom.

3. Abbey Williamson

Yea I take him for a walk in the morning and my boyfriend takes him for one in the afternoon and he's out with all of his toys from 3 to about 10pm unless we are eating. I've tried folding my arms but then he just pounces on me haha. From now on I'll try leaving the room for a couple of minutes and see if that helps. Thank you!

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Removing yourself from the room and being consistent is important. Please do not be aggressive towards him as he doesn't understand. Reward the good behaviours and divert or ignore the unwanted behaviours.
    You say he has his toys out from 3-10pm - does he entertain himself? Do you play with him? Do you do any training? Where is he in the morning until 3pm?
    Usually if a pup is pestering and biting its to get your attention so says to me he could be bored. Might be worth doing a short training session when he starts showing behaviours you don't want.

5. Abbey Williamson

A little bit of both. My boyfriend and I both play fetch and tug with him but he also runs in circles with his toys in his mouth haha. Or since its been nice out we will go and throw a ball or Frisbee with him. From about 7 to noon he is in his kennel until my boyfriend stops home from work for lunch and then he is out for about a hour. Then when my boyfriend gets home for the day if we don't have his son he takes him for another walk. The training is where I'm unsure of where to start. Because I've been able to get him to stop jumping on me by saying sit and then not petting him until he stops jumping and sits. But its the biting and taking stuff off the counter that he just does with me. He seems to think I'm just playing all the time. And of course I've tried giving him treats when he drops whatever it is that he has and listens, but then he goes and does it again and drops it as soon as I start to say something because he wants another treat!