Mystery bump.

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by cwb, Dec 29, 2021.

1. cwb

cwb Registered Users

Hey all,

First time poster but been reading this forum off and on for a bit.

My 5/12 month old lab (Luna) developed an odd looking bump on her head. Began white with what looked like a skin tag, then became red, and now has a crusty yellow scab on it. It got bigger for about three days and then I’d say it’s remained the same except maybe now mostly a scab.

Took her to two vets for an opinion and the first said it wasn’t a cyst but something that would need to be removed but he would want to wait til she was spayed so she didn’t have to go under twice and he said to keep an eye on it to make sure it didn’t grow aggressively.
    Second guy said he had no idea what it was but to keep an eye on it and if it got bigger to make an appointment to get it removed and biopsied.

They both saw it before it developed the crusty yellow scab on it.

Just in the past couple days she has developed some similar yellow crustiness on one of the whisker follicles but when I wipe it with water it comes off and the whisker looks the same.

Just curious if anyone has an idea of what it could be and if they are related? The bump is quite small I guess. Maybe the size of a small pea.

Any insights are appreciated. Thanks.

cody

2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Hi Cody
    Welcome to this great site.
    A lump or spot could be so many different things. My previous lab had four lumps removed and each came back benign but different each time. My current lab has not been so lucky and was diagnosed with an aggressive mast cell tumour at 18 months. He is now 4 and doing really well. My advice would be if it doesn’t clear up after it has scabbed over( you may have to take measures to stop the scab being constantly scratched off) ask the vet to do a needle aspiration that doesn’t require sedation so they can look at the cells to get a better idea of what it is. Take a photo with a coin or something similar next to it so you remember the size and go back to the vet if it gets any bigger. Keep us posted with how you get on.

3. cwb

cwb Registered Users

Turned out to be an ingrown hair follicle or something along those lines. After 3 months it never went away so the vet offered to remove it during the spay.

5labs likes this.
  4. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Great news