Near Catastrophe!

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Dexter, Dec 3, 2013.

1. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Re: Near Catastrophe!

Cat chasing is a subject close to Brodick's heart too (actually chasing anything furry or feathery is close to Brodicks heart) so you have my sympathies. Someone has recently decided to put a cat flap in their window, which overlooks the road we walk up en route for our walks up the hills...I have had to spend ages training brodick to walk past the cat flap on his lead without going sparko and we have finally got there, but if the cat happens to be hopping into the flap when we are approaching the house in question, he goes mildly beserk, and we are working on that too. Even a smoked sausage under the nose has zero effect, he isnt interested in anything other than the cat...

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Yes, I have to admit we are not very good with squirrels, foxes - or cats. ::)

Which is a problem, because Mum has a cat, and we are going to be staying with her over Christmas. So Angela - please give me your hints on cat desensitization. It's going to be very difficult, because there are so few cats where we live, so whenever we do see one, Pops goes nuts.

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Looking for positives in this situation I can use the daily cat walk I observe as the skill level I need to attain....I will know when we have achieved when we can get lnicely and comfortably ast the lady on her morning walk with her 'pride'!clouds have silver linings :D it's nature isn't it ....and it's definately overcome nurture in our experience...Dexter has never been encouraged to show any interest in cats and yet he's instinctively known to chase.he couldn't have cared less about the 2 he saw in the box at the vets yesterday but when there is movement he's on full alert.....there's also the problem of their toilet that's as big a draw as the chase.....we've had 100% leave it on the dates the last 2 lead walks......so I need to up the treats to overcome that ....it's vile isn't it,good job I love him!
    You guys overcome deer,sheep,ducks ( birds don't bother him ???)so I must be able to make progress.....I'm off to start reading up ......

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Cat poo is the worst thing on earth (disclaimer - I have never experienced fox poo).

Our old Lab, a very big chaser of things feathery and furry, took about a year to learn not to chase our ducks and chooks. Eventually he was good as gold. Obi, much less of a hunter, took about 6 months (though he still needs an eye kept on him). Instinct can be overcome, with consistent and persistent training.

5. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi Angela

Only just caught up with all dexters recent exploits.

They're all the same these labradors, well all the ones I've had ::).

My two from being tiny pups have wanted to chase the cats or anything. At 7 weeks old I let them out of the car when I first got them home and they straight away set off after a chicken!!! It was bigger than them!! ;D
    I should've known then what I was in for. ::)

The problem we have is the farm cats aren't scared of dogs!!! They don't move they happily sit in the middle of the drive and watch us coming. Can you imagine trying to get 2 Labradors passed a cat that they would give anything to chase? I'd happily send the cats over to you Angela to help desensitise Dex if you like.

Just a thought regarding the bizarre attraction cat muck is to dogs. Does Dex eat it ? My two do ,gross I know, but could be what upset his tum. I think that's what did scout the other week. :(

Good luck with the pesky cats

Jen :D

6. Dexter

Oh this subject is truly awful isn't it....I've just come off reading about Simbas icicle POOPsicles( told you do do capitals next time everyone ;D).....to be fair I have never seem him actually eating cat poo,but he burrows his nose down deep in the bushes where I can smell they toilet,I think if he hit the jackpot then he'd have no problem sampling it...probably has I've just not witnessed it...you are right Jen ,there's a massive chance it's something to do with the upset tummy.....he's on the mend now ,upset tums aren't a quick fix with this boy... :( x

7. Dexter

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3539.msg39260#msg39260 date=138614317
    We all have our heart-in-mouth crises. I was re-living my Scotch Finger incident as I read of Dexter's exploits.
    [/quote]
    In the whole of my life I will never be able to see a Scotch Finger biscuit without going into a cold sweat ......
    That was a really bad one!
    Done 2 more sessions of clicker train retreive this morn.....he will pick up a 'toy' dummy :).....think I may be moving from hanging out on Health,Behaviour and Chat to Training ;D yay!that feels good x

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

All I can say is - I hope Dexter doesn't 'do' Facebook. Would hate him to see a recent photo of you - cuddling a CAT!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

How could you…? ;)

9. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Karen link=topic=3539.msg39496#msg39496 date=1386240665]
    All I can say is - I hope Dexter doesn't 'do' Facebook. Would hate him to see a recent photo of you - cuddling a CAT!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

How could you…? ;)
    [/quote]

Fraternising with the enemy!!! Tut tut tut. :eek: :p Whatever next?! ;D

10. Dexter

Ah,busted!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97066992@N03/11220041743/

My friend was a bit perturbed that Malcolm was to be sacrificed as part of the desensitization process ;D

This is the Step 1......Looking at your Humum holding a cat....No big deal Dex!( although I has to close my eyes as I've been so traumatized by cats this week!)

I chose a particularly grumpy looking model to emphasize the point,Malcolm does 3 expressions...grumpy,haughty and disdainful! ;D

11. Oberon

Geez - what's the next step? Watching a vid of you shopping for kittens??

Dexter you can come and live with me anytime, mate. We don't fraternise with cats here.

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=3539.msg39507#msg39507 date=1386244125]
    I chose a particularly grumpy looking model to emphasize the point,Malcolm does 3 expressions...grumpy,haughty and disdainful! ;D
    [/quote]

That is one stroppy looking cat!

13. Dexter

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3539.msg39616#msg39616 date=1386276184]
    Geez - what's the next step? Watching a vid of you shopping for kittens??

Dexter you can come and live with me anytime, mate. We don't fraternise with cats here.
    [/quote]

Dexter is packing Rachael!trust me ,you will send him back once he sees your ducks ;D

14. Oberon

Oh. Yes. Good point.

Er, sorry, Dex, um, house actually seems to be a bit full after all.... Sorry, matey.

15. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

;D ;D ;D xx

17. Alice

Alice Registered Users

What a brilliant photo.
    Alice

18. Dexter

[quote author=Lisa link=topic=3539.msg39795#msg39795 date=1386348283]
    My daughter found this on FB and I thought it highly appropriate for this thread.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31088481@N03/11232220093/

;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

Hmmmm I wouldn't mind sitting on a few cats myself at the moment.....very cute photo....of the lab ;D