Need a New Home for 18 month old Black Labrador

Discussion in 'Labrador Rescue' started by Dordogne Damsel, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Dordogne Damsel

Dordogne Damsel Registered Users

My poor dog unfortunately chanced across a field of sheep on Monday and caused havoc in the ensuing chase. Obviously there are repercussions, one of which is we have to re-home him or have him destroyed. To complicate matters we live in the middle of (rural) France and trying to find a home away from sheep is obviously a bit tricky. I am getting a lot of support from a wonderful lady who runs www.lrrss.co.uk and we have lots of enquiries on the go. However, if anyone on here can help, most urgent need is a foster home whilst we fix this, I would be so, so grateful. Thank you for reading the post. :(

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, that's a horrible situation. You must feel absolutely awful. I'm sorry, I have no suggestions for you, but I know MaccieD is in France and may know of suitable organisation that may be able to help. Kate's suggestion of Black Retriever Cross is great, too - they are a brilliant organisation and I'm sure they will do everything they can to help.

4. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

Ah I heard about this from Carolyne at LRRSS. So sorry this has happened and I hope you find a loving home for him - wish I lived close and could help :(

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

So sorry to hear of your problems, life can be difficult living in rural France as you tend to be surrounded with sheep, cows and horses whichever way you turn. I know there are voluntary organisations that re-home dogs but unfortunately have no details of any. Most seem to work just in a local area. Have you tried looking in The Connexion, the English Language paper, for animal charities? Another possibility may be through the website AngloInfo for your region again for animal charities or perhaps someone willing to foster. I know that the animal charities in Normandy/ Brittany tend to be overflowing with animals. hopefully an organisation in the UK will be able to help.

6. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Hello DD, I saw you on the GW forum. Really hope you can find a solution for your lovely boy.

Rosie and Pongo

7. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Oh dear so sad to read the situation you are in. I live in the UK so I'm unable to help. I didn't want to not comment after reading your post. I hope the situation is resolved quickly and sending you virtual hugs. Xx

8. Beanwood

I was also wondering if you have a passport for your lovely boy? Might have more luck fostering in the UK and a passport might expediate things if a UK fosterer is available

9. Dordogne Damsel

.Thanks for all the responses, I will follow up on all leads (oops, pardon the pun), sorry have to laugh or I will start crying all over again. We have a potential new family, but there are a couple of complications, they have an older 'grumpy' dog and a cat that is inclined to dash about - potential chase hazard. We are going to meet them though and see how they all get on. Fingers crossed but I am not sure about it. Starting point anyway. Hello again Rosie & Pongo. :)

10. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hope the meeting goes well.

11. Beanwood

Good luck! :)

12. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

I can't offer any advice but wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and hope that you find a happy solution even though it will be distressing for you. So very sad

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sorry to hear this. I hope LRRS or another rescue can help out. East Midlands Lab Rescue is another good rescue organisation.
    Good luck.

14. Dordogne Damsel

Thanks all, am amazed at responses I have received. I now have some offers in France, some are a 14 hour round trip but whatever it takes I will get my darling a new home where he will be safe and happy. Unfortunately, and typically, offers are coming in from animal lovers and that means not just dogs in the home, not sure Shadow will be good with cats, especially if they run, he so loves a chase but he is young and still lots of time for training. I will be heartbroken to part with him, but a new home with a kind family is a much better option than what the gendarmes are threatening. Will keep you all posted.

15. snowbunny

Most dogs are fine with family cats, even if they're chasers out and about. As long as there's no aggression towards the cat, it just needs a period of time to allow them to settle in together. As long as they both are able to get space away from the other, it should be fine. We had multiple rescue dogs when I was a kid and always had cats. Our first rescue, Sam, was a horror for chasing other cats, but he and Fluff (I was about 4 when we got him and I named him - he wasn't even particularly fluffy) got on just fine.
    So, don't rule out an otherwise perfect home just because you're not sure about whether he'll be OK with the cat. Especially if the cat has been around dogs before - they know how to twist dogs round their little fingers :)

16. Dordogne Damsel

Just an update - Shadow is in a perfect foster home for now, so is now out of imminent danger.Meeting a lady tomorrow who is keen to help and we are going to talk about how to manage Shadow and her cats, she is very keen to give him a chance and seems to know a lot about dog training. Lots of people saying it is 'do-able' so here's hoping. Thanks all.

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm very glad your dog is safe. Best of luck with it, I'm sure it's a terrible thing to have to give him up. :(

18. Dordogne Damsel

Perfect foster home has just become perfect 'forever home'! So pleased, so relieved, so happy for him, even though sad for us. Thanks to all for help and suggestions.

19. snowbunny

That's great news! It must be heartbreaking to give him up, but the only viable option, given the choices. x

20. Granca

Granca Registered Users

So pleased he has now found a perfect 'forever home'. It will ease the pain of giving him up and is so much better than any alternatives.