Need help with safely walking my dog!

Discussion in 'Life With A Lab' started by Roy and Erin Alex, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Roy and Erin Alex

Roy and Erin Alex Registered Users

Hi all. Sorry I don't know where this post belongs so I'm posting it here for now.

My Pepper is 16 weeks old now. It has been monsoon season where we live and she hasn't been able to go for walks very often. Now that monsoon is slowing and I'm trying to walk her, my biggest challenge is not controlling her on the leash, it is keeping her safe from the tons of stray street dogs here!

I live in India and the street dogs are rampant. They bark at her and she barks back. I am always afraid of her (and I) being attacked. I carry a stick but really, what will a stick do? It's so bad and scares me enough that I have considered not walking her but she needs it! And when I walk without her I miss having her with me.

Do any of you happen to live in an area with the same stray dog issues and have tips how I can continue to walk her and keep us both safe?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

It's not quite the same, but we live in the campo in Spain, and there are quite often loose dogs around. They aren't strays, they are farm and hunting dogs that are free to roam when they're not being used. They can be quite nasty, so I always avoid going out if I know they are around. They have chased and bitten my dogs in the past. But, I know I can always jump in the car and go to other places where they won't be. Do you have this option? I would assume they'd hang around the towns more, can you go into the countryside a bit?