Need help with two issues...

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Maxedwell, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Maxedwell

Maxedwell Registered Users

We have a 3 year old Lab who was a rescue last year. Wonderful dog; incredibly mellow and for the most part, very well behaved. But, there are two issues I could use advice help with:
    1. How can I train him to alert me when he needs to go outside? Sometimes he’ll whine and sometimes he’ll come over and gently bite my hand (grab it in his mouth) but is not consistent with either warning. I’ve tried the bells on the door and he couldn’t get it.

2. He is so mellow and friendly he does not bark when a vehicle or a person will come up to our house. He doesn’t even look out the window or seem to care. Only when a person comes inn does he perk up and want to be friends. I don’t expect him to physically attack an intruder (would be nice but not gonna happen with him) but I’d at least like an alert: There is someone here!

Thanks for any tips and advice!

2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Hi
    Well done for taking on a rescue lab. Sounds like he is a lovely dog.
    Is the problem that he goes in the house?
    Can’t really help with that. I guess if you house train yourself the dog gives it’s own alert eventually. Mine is 2 and scrapes his paw on the glass door which is a bit annoying but at least we know what he wants. If we then forget he is out there he barks to come in. To be honest he is walked at 7.30 and around 4. He rarely goes in between and we have to push him out or put a lead on him last thing at night. He tends to ask to go out to bring us a present back in. A stick or leaf but last night it was cat poo ....lovely.
    With the second one be really grateful that you don’t have a 30kg dog going into a full on frenzy when someone just steps on the drive! Give me a silent dog any day!
    No help to you but welcome to the site.