Need to vent - jumping up

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by NorfolkHomemadeMum, Jul 16, 2013.

1. NorfolkHomemadeMum

NorfolkHomemadeMum Registered Users

Having a bit of a bad day (not Beulah related) & now feeling sorry for myself as she's just jumped up me in the garden & scratched my legs all over. I turned my back on her & tried to walk away but she carried on - ouchy - no short skirts for me tomorrow :( I have been clicker training her in regards to jumping up & she is now better with my kids - we have actually managed to spend some time in the garden with them in their swimsuits & the paddling pool out with no incidents - she didn't even complain when my youngest got her with a water pistol. Arg just one of those days when you feel like you're not doing anything right. I'm in the living room & as I type this I can hear her shredding the paper in her crate. I know she needs to burn some energy off but she has her tea at 7pm & afraid of bloat! Apart from clicking&treating her when she doesn't do it is there anything else I can do? My friend came round today & she jumped up her a lot too - feel a bit odd saying sorry but I am rewarding her when she doesn't do it. Not condoning harsh methods at all just wondering what to do!

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Need to vent - jumping up

Hello from a fellow jumping up survivor...not cracked it with Charlie yet by any means, and like you am clicker training. I think that's the best thing, so I'm just sticking with it.

The best thing that has worked is: Having a guest come in with treats and a clicker (I had to work on my friends first - the reason it's a guest is because Charlie was the worst with people he doesn't see very often - he doesn't jump on me anymore) and having Charlie on a short lead which I stand still and hold. Guest approaches, Charlie jumps, guest steps back out of reach. Charlie with all paws on the ground - guest C&Ts and Charlie gets a cuddle etc. etc.. I've got two people to do this so far (my Dad and my friend). It took only 3 or 4 C&Ts for him to get the idea and those 2 people are safe from snagged clothes now. It doesn't seem to transfer though - he still jumped up at my cleaner. She's next for the C&T programme! Hopefully, he'll generalise it to all people after a while....

What hasn't worked: people ignoring him, people saying "no, get down", people turning their backs - all of this just makes him jump higher.

Now all I need to do is persuade every jogger in Wimbledon to carry treats, a clicker, and follow my instructions! He is a devil dog for running after joggers and jumping up :-[ :-[!

3. NorfolkHomemadeMum

Thanks Julie that makes me hopeful - just reading my post back i've realised I've been c&ting for not jumping up the kids but not me - I guess thats because she is less predictable with me. I read somewhere that Pippa wore her clicker on a lanyard & I have noticed if she can see the clicker she behaves better - perhaps because she is anticipating treats? I think she is a bit bored too. 15 minute walks here we come in 2 weeks time. Then I shall be complaining about pulling I expect! Thanks for the support - this forum is priceless! ;)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie absolutely responds to the clicker - as soon as I pick it up he is in "what can I do for a treat?" mode - it doesn't transfer to the park though unfortunately! I have a bought a good robust clicker and wear it round my neck just about always - I feel it's a look that will catch on.

5. NorfolkHomemadeMum

LOL perhaps we should launch a line of them with fashion colours?! Refusing to give in to my emotions we just had some fun in the garden using some of her kibble allowance - I throw things & she just sits & looks at me so I got her a bit excited & started running up & down the garden clicking her for not jumping up. Knowing she doesn't "know" to retrieve I tried laying a trail in the garden leading to her favourite toy & she loved it! Her tail was wagging away as she found each little morsel which led to a bigger treat. Twice in the garden & once in the kitchen leading to her crate with her fave yummy treat inside. She has now flopped on the sofa next to me - yay - balance restored! :)

6. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

i wear mine on a lanyard along with the whistle, i only need to put it on my neck.he sits straight on his bum....yummy yummy treat time :)

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds like you are making good progress :)

The hardest thing is to educate your guests, I reckon. So being proactive is the way to go and it sounds like you are doing exactly that - having her on a short lead and explaining how it all works to the guest before allowing interaction. Sometimes a sign at the door can help too, explaining that you are training Beulah not to jump up on people and their co-operation would be greatly appreciated. :)

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=NorfolkHomemadeMum link=topic=2017.msg17148#msg17148 date=1374000529]
    I know she needs to burn some energy off but she has her tea at 7pm & afraid of bloat!
    [/quote]

Tonight, as I juggled work deadlines, Charlie's supper time, and his exercise, the fear of bloat raised its head - I can see NHMM has similar worries - so I rearranged my schedule so Charlie got his 20 min walk at least an hour after eating 80g of kibble.

Got me thinking: small young puppies, fed many small meals, and doing really quite limited exercise (5 min rules etc - Beulah isn't even allowed out of her garden yet...) - should we really be so concerned about bloat?

I WILL continue to be careful, I get how serious it is, but I do wonder whether I'm taking things a bit to extremes with this...?

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Boy do I understandt this!! Simba was/is a terror for jumping up and, to add to the joy, nipping/biting. Passably cute in a little puppy, not so cute in a dog that can reach your face when he jumps up!

Clicker training really works for me too, and for my daughter when she tried it with him (she is 17 and had been a target of much excited jumping and nipping/biting). I also kept upping the ante on the jumping up - first off I did the C & T outside when I was walking, then jogging a few paces, then running and making loony sounds and movements to get him hyped up. Then I started doing the same indoors, also with success.
    I also found the turn around and ignore worked not too badly with him.

I did find that the behaviour was starting to translate to others coming in the door just before I left on this holiday. Won't be home for a month or so and my boys in charge of dog, so we'll see how things are when I get back. Have a feeling I'll be starting from square one again but not much I can do about it.

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

NHM glad you ended the day all as friends......

Dexter is quite steady but he still has the occasional jump in him.......his harness can inspire truly beautiful lift offs......

I was a bit shy of asking guests to get involved with the whole training issue and he wasnt a huge jumper so if the door went we put him behind his gate and let him see who it was....he'd have a little bark which gave ME the opportunity to clicker train Quiet ( pretty good now on that) then we would brief guests to turn their back on him and ignore him if he jumped up and then let him through to us....it's worked really but Imdont think you will find that method in any training manuals...

I'm not knowledgeable enough to say what the consequences could be Julie of Bloat with Charlie's routine....it scared the life out of me though and Im even careful with water now...I think it might have been Barbara that mentioned about that.its so easy to get absorbed in their care especially when they are so little.Chris's Dad rolls his eyes at me.....especially When The tooth brush comes out.....he always had a black lab growing up( bizarrely always called Tess.....I think they got to Tess mark III before he left home and Chris cam remember Tess Mark V..... :eek:)and he always says good god Angela,Tess didnt get a smidgen of Dexters care and we never managed to kill her( hmmmm,my answer to that ,respectfully....you got to Tess Mark V.......)

11. NorfolkHomemadeMum

lol! Yes we are getting there thankyou for the support. I worry about bloat as she tends to have her mad half hour either just before or just after mealtimes!

12. TheKavs

TheKavs Registered Users

To those clicker training. Does it make a big difference? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this style of training? We have just been using positive reinforcement using tone of voice and word commands to train Penny. I haven't had much trouble training her anything, however if clicker training is something that could improve the process it is worth considering.

I was looking for a benchmark too, so I could understand Penny's progress in training. We don't want a circus act, we want a dog so I have only been training a few main things. She will:

"go in your house" - Walk into her crate
    "sit" - sit
    "down" - lie down
    "drop it" - release whatever is in her mouth
    "no"/"get out of it" - stop whatever she is doing
    "wait" - wait for me to say OK..... most of the time
    "OK" - walk, used when waiting to cross a road

However the jumping up thing is proving hard, I think because we aren't being consistent enough in our message, or maybe she needs more time. I feel like she is doing great for a 13 1/2 week old pup, but I have no comparison. Any reassurance would be great. Should we be doing better by now? Should I try clicker training for the jumping up? We currently just ignore her when she jumps up and then praise and reward when she is back on all fours.... most of the time. We are weak willed and it is too easy to just love her when she is excited and jumpy. Pretty sure we are the issue on this one, but worth asking I guess.

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think clicker training is worth it - it seems to speed things up, Pippa posted an article just the other day about the positive impact of reducing the time between action and reward. I think the clicker marker helps with this.

I'm not sure I'm a great benchmark, as pretty inexperienced, but Charlie definitely learns so much quicker with the clicker. We made huge progress on our distance and duration of stay yesterday in just one session - and even stayed on our mat for the doorbell! (hooray!)

14. NorfolkHomemadeMum

Blimey it sounds like you're streets ahead of us! Beulah will go in her crate & sit but thats about it! She is only 11 weeks though. x

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie is 18 weeks now though, much older than your girl.

16. Oberon

TheKavs, that is very good progress.

A clicker is, in principle, exactly the same as a marker word (the method you are using). The advantage of a clicker over a spoken word is its precision and consistency - both things that help dogs to learn. If you are having success with a market word, though, then there is no real reason to introduce a clicker.

With the jumping up, it can be very helpful to proactively teach your puppy what you want them to do (sit or stand but definitely don't jump when greeting people), not just what you do not want. A dog learns much faster when you show them what you want by marking and rewarding. So, whether you use a marker word or a clicker for this, I would get more serious about formally teaching her to keep her feet on the ground around people. Don't just praise and treat in a general way - specifically mark the desired behaviour.

17. TheKavs

TheKavs Registered Users

Thanks for the info guys. So with regard to using a marker word, I should just introduce a word such as that used with "sit" or "down" etc? If I started using "off" and moving her to the floor, then reward and praise, would that be more useful than the current method of ignoring her until she moves to the floor on her own accord?

Tom

18. Oberon

Hmm - maybe you aren't using a marker word. A marker word is a word you say to note the exact moment when the dog/pup does what you ask. The marker word is rapidly followed by a treat.

The marker word has to be 'charged up' before you use it in training. Without this it has no meaning at all. You charge up the word by pairing it with the delivery of a treat. So, choose a word (something short like 'yes') and get a pile of treats ready. Get your pup's attention and say you'd marker word immediately followed by the treat. Repeat: marker > treat, marker > treat, marker > treat, marker > treat. Repeat it 20 times. The pup doesn't have to do anything special - only eat the treat. All you are doing is creating an association so that your marker word takes on the meaning 'a treat is coming'. You can then use the marker word to 'mark' the instances at which the pup does what you want (followed quickly by a treat). The marker pinpoints for the dog the moment that they are doing what you want. Every time you mark you have to treat. The marker is the promise of a treat and you have to keep the promise.

A clicker is exactly the same as a marker word (but even more precise).

There are lots of good articles on the main site about clicker training (aka training using a marker). :) This Kikopup video gives a good explanation of how to use a clicker or marker to stop jumping up: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lC_OKgQFgzw&feature=plpp

19. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think I am the odd one out here because I spend the first year of my dogs' lives teaching them to jump up on me. :p :) Don't ask ! All to do with retrieving. ;)
    Strangely they will only jump up on me not on other people. Ziggy, the Clumber is the heaviest of my dogs weighing 25 kg and he could probably push me over and yet he is as gentle as anything and never puts any force into his jump, just gently sits up on his hind legs and puts his front paws in my hands. Very endearing. :D I know I am odd! :)
    If I don't want them to jump up I just tell them to sit. 8) ;)

20. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Riley and Ziggy are about the same size ;D

I've been encouraging Riley to climb on me in an attempt to get a closer delivery but with mixed success and now if Ben gives me a hug he thinks it's ok to join in and you get a big shove on the bum :eek:

I wouldn't want one of our 35kgs plus buddies jumping on me though ;)