Need to vent - jumping up

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by NorfolkHomemadeMum, Jul 16, 2013.

1. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Need to vent - jumping up

Yes, I know what you mean, Barbara. I don't think I could handle 35 kilos of Murffi loopiness. :eek: ;D

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=heidrun link=topic=2017.msg17279#msg17279 date=1374064034]
    Yes, I know what you mean, Barbara. I don't think I could handle 35 kilos of Murffi loopiness. :eek: ;D
    [/quote]

Steady on they're not spanners ;D ;D ;D

3. TheKavs

TheKavs Registered Users

Okay, thanks, now I understand that it is the same concept as a clicker just replacing a sound with a word. I guess what I mean is, people use the words 'reliable' or 'consistent results' when discussing clicker training. I was just wondering why it is? I mean I train Penny to 'drop it' and she responds to the command each time. There was obviously a learning curve and as she is so young distraction can play a roll, but that improves with time. I suppose everyone has their own methods, but clicker or marker word training isn't discussed at our puppy training. We attend the Kennel club good citizen dog training scheme. I do so much reading around the subject as like all of us here, we love and want the best for our pups, but it really is confusing. I am finding it really hard to understand whether most things are personal preference or if there are key advantages or disadvantages to certain methods. For example, one vet said with pedigree labs to keep them on the lead for 18 months to ensure healthy development, another at the same practice said that moderation and responsible exercise is key. Now I listened to the latter, but only because it was closest to my opinion of not keeping her on the lead, but I have no way of knowing which is correct. Oh dear..... I am clearly over thinking all of this dog stuff, I think the day Faye tells me she wants to have a baby my head will explode :)

4. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Tom, your last sentence just about made me spew my tea!!! :D :D

I had two dogs before Simba and did not use a clicker, and they were well trained dogs. But I decided to use the clicker with him as he came to us as a 8 month old barely trained dog, who had learned to ignore "no", "come", etc. So I had to use a new marker and start from scratch.

It has worked really well with him and I intend on continuing when I get back from holidays. I will have to look up how to fade away the treats, etc as we go along, though.

There is something to be said for using a marker that is always consistent and doesn't change with emotion, etc.

5. NorfolkHomemadeMum

NorfolkHomemadeMum Registered Users

I understand about teaching her what I want her to do ie/ sit/four on floor when going through the stair gates into out of the kitchen but when she jumps up the boys out in the garden how do I deal with that - it's not greeting but excitement?

6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

You wait for that moment when she has four on the floor and mark it with a C & T. When she jumps, no treat. It's probably best if you do it with her rather than the kids, depending on how old they are. Do it when it's just you and her, no other distractions. Once she gets the idea and you are having success, start adding more temptations like running, jumping, acting excited, etc. What I did with Simba was also run away while he was eating the treat and then when he came up to me I would C & T if he did not jump on me.

Worked great!! Then I started doing the same process inside the house, starting with less distractions, adding more, etc. After all that, I got my daughter to do the C & T with Simba using the same process. But she is 17 so she understands how it all works.

Anyhow that's how it all worked for me!

7. NorfolkHomemadeMum

NorfolkHomemadeMum Registered Users

Did you add a command word?

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You don't have to add a cue. In fact, the idea is that 'not jumping' is an automatic behaviour that is expected at all times, not one that you need to prompt with a cue. The presence of a human is kind of the permanant cue to 'keep your feet on the floor'. Personally, I'd just C&T 'no jumping' (under the sorts of escalating situations that Lisa describes) and not add a cue. :)

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Yes, I don't add a cue word. It's amazing how well it works!!! :D