Nell has a Luxating Patella

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Jul 11, 2017.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Having done the restricted exercise , Nell was still sometimes carrying her leg , so this morning she was lightly sedated for Xrays . It showed a low grade luxating patella on her left rear , and a very sloppy knee join on the right, but not only that, her hips are not great either . For now, the plan is management , continuing the Yumove supplement , maintaining a low weight , upping the exercise slowly, home exercise plan plus hydrotherapy . Fortunately , a fairly local Vet has a hydro set up , so my Vet is referring Nell , heaven knows what she will make of it as she isn't keen on water . We have to take her back in 4/6 weeks , and if no improvement , she will go onto anti inflammatory medication . She was such a good little soul , licking the Vet before her little nap , and not a growl even when she was manipulated . The good thing is that the patella goes back on its own , showing that it is fairly low grade , so its all about trying to build up the muscles so that they can help to carry the knee . I am just so glad that we had this little dog , and not someone who didn't care for her , so we will do all we can to make her life pain free and happy , she is such a contented little soul x

Sven, Naya, Granca and 2 others like this.
  2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

At last Kate an answer, you knew there was something wrong so good on you for persuing your suspicions with your vet. I hope the hydrotherapy isn't too traumatic for little Nell and that improvement is made and quickly. :hug::hug: to you both xxxx

kateincornwall likes this.
  3. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I'm sorry it's not better news from the x rays, and hope she takes to the hydrotherapy.

4. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Sorry to read about about Nell, but she thankfully has you to help with this.

Odie has a grade 1 luxating patella on his left leg. The right one is fine. So far no issues yet but we know there may come a time where he will need surgery. My last Pomeranian had grade 2 on both her legs but never needed surgery either. So hopefully by building up the muscles it will help keep it minimal for little sweet Nell.

5. kateincornwall

Thanks both x The last two times I took her , she wasn't limping , typical , but this was a different Vet , she saw her yesterday and picked up on it straight away . I think, like children, we know our own best and know when something isn't right , being a nuisance is the way to go sometimes x

Karen and Kelsey&Axel like this.
  6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Sorry to read that Kate. Hope it will resolve with exercise and not surgery, though if she does finally need surgery, it does solve the problem immediately. My Lab had a water walker (can't think of the proper name!!!!!! Old age!!) so he didn't have to swim which might be better for Nell.

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Water Treadmill?
    hope shes ok. I glad she's with you

Stacia likes this.
  8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh gosh, poor Nell and poor you. So sorry, but you knew something wasn't right and stuck to your guns, so good for you. Hopefully building up her muscle strength will help. She's got the best people looking after her, that's for sure. Xxx

9. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

It's good to know what you're dealing with - you can formulate a way forward.

10. Granca

Granca Registered Users

It's good that you've got the diagnosis for Nell now so that you know what you're dealing with. I hope she enjoys the hydrotherapy!

11. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

That's the word "treadmill" I can never remember it! Thanks SwampDonkey.

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm sure she'll cope with it fine under your care, Kate. You look after your doggies so well :)

13. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Oh Kate I'm so sorry to hear this :(. At least you have a plan in place now to help our little Nell and I know that she will receive the best of care to get her as fit and well muscled as possible. If she's not keen on water she may not be to keen on the hydrotherapy to begin with but they are experienced with working with dogs, and cats even, that aren't keen on water. Xx

14. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sorry to hear this, but the bonus she has is that she is with you. Hope the exercise regime helps xx

15. kateincornwall

Have been reading extensively about the best way forward , especially with regards to exercise . It seems the general opinions now are to encourage walking uphill , walking up a few steps , helping them to a stand from a sit , all the things I haven't been doing because we were told it was a soft tissue injury ! Obviously I have to build her up gently and steadily , but at least she isn't as restricted as before . Have found a paddling pool online, its deep enough for her to walk in up to shoulders , so I might get that and try walking her on her lead in it, in tepid water , the things we do ! Its also encouraging to hear that other dogs have coped for some time with grades worse than hers ! This might be a very daft thought, but this all started about ten days after her spay, so I now wonder if the enforced rest after the op has made it worse x

Karen likes this.
  16. kateincornwall

I`ve been in touch with a Vet who is fairly local , they have a hydrotherapy pool and fully trained physiotherapists . They have been in touch with our Vets and have accepted Nell to have a go ! They were kind enough to offer her a free trial , to see how she gets on in the water , and assess her needs , then if all is good , she will go on a regular basis , the cost is extremely reasonable . Must remember to take my camera !

Kelsey&Axel and SwampDonkey like this.
  17. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

That's good that you now have a plan.

18. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

That's great I found hydrotherapy one of the best ever things for Doug.

19. kateincornwall

Its just good to being doing something proactive for the little scallywag ! Heard so many good reports of this place , so its got to be worth a try x

SwampDonkey likes this.