Nelly

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Nov 8, 2017.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Monday , the day we lost Sam , Nelly was quiet but nothing could have prepared us for yesterday . Apart from going into the garden for a wee , she didn't get out of her bed until almost lunchtime . Usually , she makes us laugh so in the mornings , its like someone has wound her up , completely manic and full of joy, but yesterday she was quite the opposite . I decided to take her to Golitha Falls , near our home and the place that Sam loved more than anywhere else , the routine being that whilst Nelly trotted along close to me , he would fly into the woods and run, just because he could do . Nelly ran into the woods , and searched for her friend, it was quite awful to see and so we didn't linger as she was obviously distressed . This morning , she fetched toys out, bringing them to us , usually she would have taken them to Sam , but at least she was showing an interest . This afternoon , I took her back to Golitha , and thankfully she didn't repeat yesterdays behaviour , she did look into the woods but didn't offer to go off the pathway , staying close to me , which was a massive relief . She hasn't ever been allowed to get onto the sofa , this was Sams place , hers being on Pauls knee , but just now , she got up onto it , curled up very close and licked my hand before getting down again . I think she will be alright , our little scruff pup , we have to try and keep our routine going , but yes , I think she will adjust . We have had some wonderful gifts , flowers and a rose named after our big boy , plus a lovely card from our Vet, it helps to know that so many people loved Sam as we did . Our young grandson is very upset indeed , crying himself to sleep , but at least he is talking about Sam , so we hope that he can continue to express his grief and maybe become closer to Nelly in time . I have to keep trusting her off lead , even without her special hearing dog for the deaf , she brightened up Sams life and so deserves all the help and love we can give to her , she will be alright xx

Stacia likes this.
  2. T Reischl

T Reischl Registered Users

I never know what to write.....it saddens me to hear of your losses. They occupy such a huge space in our lives, we are lucky to have them with us, and then they are gone....only time....

3. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Poor Nelly, she loved Sam as much as you did, though she didn't have him for nearly as long. I hope she doesn't grieve too long and can find her happy little spark again soon, as much for your sake as hers.

I'm glad you are hearing from so many people about how special Sam was to them. It doesn't help with your sadness, but it does mean a lot to know that he touched so many. :heart:

SwampDonkey likes this.
  4. blackandwhitedog

blackandwhitedog Registered Users

It must be so hard for you all, my heart goes out to you. At least Nelly knows she is well loved now, and with time she will begin to adjust without her beloved Sam.

5. 20180815

20180815 Guest

I'm so glad you have Nelly and that she and Sam were able to form a special friendship. I hope your grandson and Nelly can take comfort in each other, he sounds a lovely sweet boy. Day by day :hug:

6. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

I think perhaps that dogs need to grieve, just as humans do. She will come through it, just as you and your family will. Love will find a way.

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Bones grieved terribly when Billy died, but with lots of love and attention he got back to his normal self again. Big hugs to little Nelly xxx

8. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh how difficult for poor Nell, just when she was getting settled. I guess it will just take time...reassuring though that for our furry companions at least, things get a little easier....:hug::hug:

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Aww poor Nelly. She is grieving with you. But she will bounce back, I am sure, and bring you those smiles for the dark days.

10. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Wispa has had to adjust to losing other dogs and close family members during her life so far, so I'm sure Nelly will too. As you've said, it's important (though difficult) to keep the routine going, but the fact that she's adjusted so well to being with you and responding to the love and care you're giving her bodes well.

I'm glad to hear that your grandson is talking about Sam. Sometimes it's hard to know what's best to help, but talking certainly does. I even found that my grandchildren had put little named gravestones in the Minecraft world we were playing on together (them in Scotland and me in Kent!) - we didn't talk about that, but it was touching to see another way in which they had expressed their grief. It's so hard coming to terms with loss. I hope Nelly is able to comfort him as well as you. :hug:

11. Jazzmynn

Jazzmynn Registered Users

Our Jazzmynn grieved for her buddy Sasha when we had to put her down (stomach cancer). She would whine and howl, and lost interest in everything for 3-4 days. Then she bounced back and thrived on our undivided attention. Baby steps.... it will get better for all of you.

12. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

It is hard for them and Moo did get better. We did things to make her happy and engage her that seemed to help. I hope Nelly and you can find some solace with each other and go on to have new adventures. Xxxx

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Dear little Nelly.

14. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

So sad and difficult for you all. I agree though that dogs do grieve, in their own way, but they do. I've seen it with mine and it breaks your heart but, hopefully, helps them come to terms eventually.
    Gentle hugs for little Nelly, and you all x

15. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I think Nelly is finding a way to get through her grief, cuddling up to you, giving her toys to you, staying close on walks, perhaps she thinks she now needs to look after you and make you happy again. Nelly will never be Sam but she does sound a dear little dog who will help you through your grief x

16. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

You and Nelly will work through this sad period. You need each other. Your wonderful memories of Sam will cheer you up one day.

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Poor Nell, she misses her big brother who guided her. I know she will settle down with love and reassurance from you Kate. Nell must be a great comfort to you xxxx :hug:

18. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

@charlie She is a comfort Helen , and today she has been much happier , still searching but better than she has been , early days . She really is a delightful little dog , not a mean bone in her little body and despite us only having seven months of Nelly and Sam together , it was worth every second , she lit up his life and so I shall love her for this x

Atemas, Jazzmynn, drjs@5 and 10 others like this.
  19. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Bless her xx

:hug:

20. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Bless you all :hug: