Neutering and head cones

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Deano82, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

In 2 weeks Nero is getting his bits removed and I am dreading him having to wear one of those head cones!
    I just know he is going to hate it and hes very large and boisterous!
    Has anyone had any success with other types of head collars such as the inflatable ones?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

My terrier had very complex eye surgery last year and needed a collar , we got her an inflatable buster collar which she was 100% happy to wear , day and night , I think they are brilliant .

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

My Charlie had surgery on his paw a month ago and I bought a Comfy Cone it worked a treat, it's soft enough for dogs to sleep in and he didn't bat eye lid having it put on. When he had a break from it for his walks we would say "cone on" and he would come to us sit and have it put back on.

I bought it on Amazon.

Good luck Nero!! xx

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

The buster collar was no good for a back leg wound for us. Might be touch and go for the plums.
    I haven't used the comficollar but would be my choice if I need something again (for Lilly ;) )

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have had two dogs castrated and five bitches spayed over the years and never had any need to use a collar, so your dog may not have to either! Ops these days have very small wounds and dogs tend to leave them alone.

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I had an inflatable buster collar for Willow after her spay. She didn't need to wear it much at all, but always if we had to leave her (which wasn't often) and overnight - although I slept with her for several nights because she didn't have a good experience and was very sorry for herself and when I did that, I left the collar off. Whatever you choose, I think it's worth doing some desensitisation before the event, so it's not another added stress at an already potentially upsetting time. I did lots of work with her to get her feeling good around it - fed her her meals in it and lots of treat-based clicker training. So she didn't bother at all when I had to put it on her.

8. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

And just to confuse.....when Molly was spayed last year they closed the wound with superglue she came home without a cone and never paid any attention to the wound.

I don't know if it was the lack of stitches that did it, as everyone knows they can itch and pull.

9. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Ella hasn't needed a cone for her wound from her spay. She hasn't bothered with it at all so thankfully no cone. We have also used wound guard spray as a precaution (antiseptic spray with a bitter taste) to help promote healing whilst discouraging licking. We'll continue to keep an eye on it until the stitches are removed but fingers crossed it won't be an issue.

I'd say that it's best to have a plan of action ready if Nero starts to lick or chew but to just monitor him. Hopefully you won't need to worry about it.

10. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Thanks all. Hopefully he wont have to wear a cone, I guess we will have to see how he is after the procedure . Ill prob get some of that wound guard spray just in case

11. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

When Juno was spayed we only used the cone from the vet at bedtime and when we went shopping. The rest of the time she was without a cone and we had no problems. When it was time to have the cone on she just sat and waited and then had a treat. We did exactly the same following her elbow surgery without any problems.

12. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

13. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Cooper never needed the cone even though I had one at home......he was fine from day one. So, good luck!

14. snowbunny

Anne123 Willow had something similar. We called it her Rab C. Nesbitt look:

The Dobby ears say "I am not impressed"

[​IMG]

15. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

We called Finn GI Finn....

This looks nice! I gues this was much cheeper.

Annemarie

16. snowbunny

This was free from the vet, and replaced every two days. It was a bit uncomfortable around her neck, and we kept adapting it for her. It was a really miserable time for her, bless her.

17. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I had a miserable time post-neuter with the cone, which was absolutely necessary as Simba wouldn't leave his stitches alone. Hope your pooch does well with it all.

18. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there...Dexter his tail docked at 13 months .....we'd had a bit of a grim time leading up to this decision with him wounding his tail but my dithering over whether we should do it or not ...but in that period I bought 2 cones...the hard tough one that the vet gives you and an inflatable one.I got him used to wearing both of them for about 2 weeks before the op....my thinking being if he's miserable enough after his operation at least the cone won't upset him further ....he was really comfortable sticking his head in it and wearing it by the time we did have to use it for real ...

19. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Thanks for the info everyone. Does anyone know where I can get the wound guard spray?

20. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Hi,

Perhaps you can order on this website. I don't know where you are from. It's a Dutch website but they have different kind of wound sprays.

http://www.medpets.nl/wond+ehbo+hond/

Annemarie