Neutering Question After Neutering

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Evelyn, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Evelyn

Evelyn Registered Users

Has anyone experienced their dog being very neutering? I did not want to get my dog neutered, but I finally did on Dec 23, 2016. The only reason I finally decided to have it done was due to his excessive mounting of me whenever I would get up. He was obsessed and I felt it was making him too anxious all the time. He has stopped mounting me, but he has had problems since then. He has had two ear infections, a UTI, and struvites in his urine. He has been treated for both issues and they have cleared up. The main issue I am dealing with is exercise intolerance and walking with his head down. I used to walk him 4-6 miles per day and now he can barely walk 1/4 per mile. He is extremely lethargic all the. He is eating, drinking water, pooping and urinating normally. At this time he is being worked up from head to toe. He has had blood work, x-rays, etc. I am now waiting for the results of tick disease and toxoplasmosis. If those tests are negative, the next stop is a neurologist for an MRI. Again, has anyone's dog experienced a similar problem? Please let me know.

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Evelyn - welcome to the forum.
    So sorry to hear your boy is having problems.
    I don't have any experience of boys (Lilly is my first dog, a girl, was spayed at 6 months, no problems)
    This story doesn't sound familiar from others either.

How old was he when he was neutered?
    He certainly doesn't sound happy. Almost depressed?
    Has anything else happened in the family that might be relevant too?

3. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Hi,
    This sounds like quite an extreme change in behaviour for you to deal with. My boy was neutered at the earliest possible opportunity, due to coinciding with xrays being taken, 6 - 7months ish. Can't say we noticed any of the changes you have mentioned, I could see no difference in monty's behaviour before or after.
    So worrying for you, sorry I can't offer anything more than sympathy and hope you get some answers soon from your tests xx

4. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I've had three dogs which have all been neutered, none of which showed those type of symptoms. I would think there is something else going on, if not physical, then psychological. I hope you can get to the bottom of it! Keep us posted!

5. Markieee

Markieee Registered Users

I cannot relate to the exercise intolerance but can relate to an increase in illness since my boys neutering. He experienced Struvite Crystals in the urine which caused him to block up, urine in blood etc. Many times over the course of a couple of weeks he had to have a catheter to put in to release his full bladder. We honestly thought he was going to die and he is only 2! Eventually he had to have an operation (actually three or four) called a Urethrostomy!? which now effectively has made him a female. I believe the neutering caused this as he was fit and well before this and I would definitley never have any future dogs neutered. Luckily he is now all well but is stuck on a Prescription Diet for life.

This is my boy around a week after the operation, who made a remarkable recovery and makes me so happy~

[​IMG][​IMG]IMG_1028 by Mark Whittington, on Flickr

6. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

I had two males, both neutered. Euan (pts April last year) has been neutered at the age of 3,5. His testicle was somewhere in his belly. That was the reason for neutering. The operation took some time because the vet couldn't find the testicle. Happened to be in his inguinal canal. After his neutering he became incontinent, couldn't hold his urine....therefore he got medicine, called enurace. He hadn't changed in his behavior.

Our Finn was neutered at the age of 1,5. No problems in behavior.

I was told that some dogs could become very fearful after being neutered...could that be the case? (Head hanging down, not wanting to walk)....

Evelyn likes this.
  7. MF

MF Registered Users

Really sorry your dog is suffering like this. Such a worry for you.

Walking with head hanging down could indicate a neck injury, perhaps slipped disc. Not that I'm saying that is what your dog has. But you might wish to ask your vet if it could be the case. What did the X-rays show?

8. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

I just had Axel neutered 2 months ago. I haven't experienced anything negative though since, only positive. I'm sorry your pup doesn't seem himself :( hopefully the vet gets to the bottom of it

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Really sorry to read of your boys problems , what an awful worry for you . My lad was castrated just before he was a year old , without any hitch , so I really hope you get some answers soon

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Sorry to hear of your boy's problems :( I hope you can find out what is causing it.

11. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I've never neutered a male dog but lots of family, friends and neighbours have and none of them reacted as your poor boy seems to have. Maybe he picked up some ailment when at the Vet's? Sick dogs go to the Vet so that's just as much as possibility as when we ourselves go to our Doctor's office or hospital. Even if the stay was only half a day. Hope you can get to the root of this and fix it soon.

12. Evelyn

Evelyn Registered Users

Winston was 5 1/2 years old when he was neutered. He is now 5 years and 8 months. There is nothing new going on in the family. I thought it was a botched neuter but I have been reassured by 3 different vets that there is no sign of this. I do not know.

13. Evelyn

Evelyn Registered Users

I am glad your baby is doing great! The vet at the university wants to put my guy on an rx diet, but I am switching him to homemade food instead. That gives me something else to ask my vet about. Thank you for sharing your experience. I will not have my next dog neutered so late unless I am planning to breed him. I do not think the ear infections have anything to do with my guy's neutering. My husband thinks maybe something was going on before he was neutered and the lack of testosterone masked it. I do not know.

14. Evelyn

Evelyn Registered Users

Perhaps that might be the case, but the vet thinks he may have a pinched nerve in his neck also. They are checking everything.

15. Evelyn

Evelyn Registered Users

All x-rays have not showed any type of neck injury. The only way to get a definite picture of his body is having him undergo an MRI unless the vet finds something before that. He is scheduled for one next week. He is actually seeing a neurologist next week.

16. Evelyn

Evelyn Registered Users

I hope the vet gets to the bottom of it. The professors and students seeing him are checking him out from head to tail! He has had x-rays, ultrasounds and blood work galore. The last thing is an MRI of his brain and body.

17. MF

MF Registered Users

My dog had an MRI for a suspected slipped lumbar disc. It showed up, suspicion was confirmed. I do hope that the myriad tests your boy is undergoing gives you a plan of action. So distressing when you don't know what's causing it.

18. Evelyn

Evelyn Registered Users

I picked him up from the vet yesterday and he put him on an antibiotics. He had an allergic reaction to gabapentin and his muzzle swelled up with welts about a month ago. The welts went down and are now infected. Otherwise, the vets are trying to figure out what is going on with him.

19. xxryu139xx

xxryu139xx Registered Users

gabapentin? what is their reasoning for using that?

20. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

It's often used in nerve pain for dogs and humans