Neutering questions- sorry it's a novel

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Kelsey&Axel, Dec 28, 2016.

1. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Agree with @JulieT - why are dogs being fed near other dogs at daycare? We have recently been looking at daycare options for Quinn, as OH will be on days for a few weeks in the New Year and I feel guilty that she will be home alone (she has a dog walker but so far has only ever had 3 days a week max home alone) - but I have to say, from what I have seen so far (in Toronto), I think she is better off on the couch! I would be asking the daycare what they are doing that is causing Axel to guard food - typically they are fed in separate areas/pens to prevent that (or should be!).

SwampDonkey and Kelsey&Axel like this.
  2. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

You know that's something I didn't even think about - feeding the dogs while in a pack environment. I actually didn't even know they did this until that day.

When I first signed Axel up for daycare he did have food guarding issues, but thanks to the help here I followed those steps to help. By throwing treats at them while they are eating, etc. But point being, I had to fill out an application and I wrote on there that he had 'food guarding aggression'. They had no idea that I had fixed that, so I don't know why they ignored what I wrote. But it is something I'll be bringing up.

3. Kelsey&Axel

Definitely no more daycare for him. Just means he gets an extra walk a day :D

4. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Totally agree. In my opinion, it's never worth the risk with dogs and food. We're camping at the moment with three labs (all from different homes) and, whilst they are best buddies, we are so careful at food time. We feed them all at the same time at opposite sides of the camp-site and don't let any of the free until all are finished and empty bowls are removed. Maybe we're overreacting and maybe they'd be fine but we won't risk it.

Jes72 likes this.
  5. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I don't think most daycares feed at all. I don't see why they would need to, but feeding a number of dogs at once seems like a recipe for disaster.

Our two are fine with sharing plates etc.

6. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I would not bet on castrating cutting down on Marking. I know lots of neutered males that still mark all the time on walks. Even our spayed females mark, almost as much as males.

7. Kelsey&Axel

Well, after of ton of research and thinking we decided to neuter Axel. He went in today. He followed scents several times over the last few weeks and our house backs on to a very busy road. I would never forgive myself if he got hit by a car.

He also got a lipoma removed from his mouth today as well. Poor guy, hope he's feeling back to himself soon!

Thanks everyone for all of your advice