New 14 month old rescue - Peeing fiend!

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Lavender, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Lavender

Lavender Registered Users

Hi

We have very recently (3 days ago) adopted a 14 month old chocolate lab. She is lovely, beautiful, settles well with us during the day, cuddles up and dozes on the sofa with us in the evening - all good. She is responding well to training - sit, down, roll, beg, stay. BUT! She is not house trained and is peeing a lot! I am letting her out hourly and she is still peeing in the house up to 2 times in an hour. She goes into a frantic frenzy at the sight/sound/smell of food and so I suspect that excitement or nervousness may be an issue. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me. I am hoping that someone will say that this is reasonably normal in an untrained lab of her age! But I am starting to wonder if her apparent lack of bladder control is something I should get investigated. She is not spayed btw - not yet anyway!

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hello, well done on adopting her. A lovely thing to do. Normally a 14 month old girl could hold their bladder for quite some hours so you could have a couple of things going on. Either it’s related to behaviour, new environment, nerves/excitement or maybe something physical. 2 times an hour is a lot. Do you have any history on how she was before ? I would not leave it too long without a chat to your vet. It could be a simple urinary tract infection, or something else but probably worth a conversation at least. Keep praising and rewarding when she goes outside in the mean time, good luck.

3. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Two times an hour sounds like a urinary tract infection. So, first thing to do is visit the vet.

You should be taking her out regularly on a houseline. Just stand there. No playing. When she urinates, give her a treat or two, and become animated.

You also need to remove the smell of urine inside your home. Use a cleaner with an enzyme to break down the odour. We can't smell it. But dogs can.

Hold off on the spaying. One of the potential side effects can be incontinence. So, you need the toilet training to be sorted out first, so that you can determine the cause of any issues.

5labs and Deboragh like this.
  4. amelbeach

amelbeach Registered Users

That’s how it happened for us as well. We saw two together and the owners introduced us to the Doberman rescue nearby. They’re great doggos.

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1

5. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Be sure not to use an ammonia based cleaner, since it smells similar to urine. As Michael said, you need to get rid of all the urine odor, so she does not associate those places with proper places to pee. Our labs have always been able to overnight with no issues once they were potty trained. I agree that a vet trip is needed.