New additions to the household

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by JAYMZ, Apr 10, 2015.

1. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

Re: New additions to the household

I have to admit my piggie knowledge is almost zero. But what I do know is we both like really big, splodgy piggies with big floppy ears :)

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=10517.msg155688#msg155688 date=1428706961]
    Cool.

What kind of pigs would you get?

I'd love to have geese - magnificent birds. Unfortunately I'm in goose-unfriendly suburbia.
    [/quote]

I had a pet goose when I was 12 . ( wasn't allowed a puppy :'() anyway we went and chose Mrs Wonderful at a farm and brought 'her' back in a card box ....she grew up and we realised she was he and became Mr Wonderful.....he was huge ,quite magnificent ,he longest wing span ever....my parents had quite a large garden but it was in the suburbs of a city.He loved me ,I used to carry him round under my arm and he'd lay his neck across my chest and rest his head on my shoulder,but he hated everyone else ,especially my Sister,she got chased up the garden once to many times so we had a summit meeting and Mr Wonderful was returned to the small holding from whence he came :'( but he lived a long and happy life..........I was told :eek:

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Ahhhh goose cuddles sound great :)

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Aw, how sad to lose Mr Wonderful :( He just needed a goosey girlfriend. He thought you were his girlfriend and was just defending you from outsiders (ie your sister). He sounds lovely :)

Jaymz, a friend of mine in the UK had 'Oxford Sandy and Blacks' - ginger coloured pigs with floppy ears. She got them from a place in the north Dartmoor area.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

A guard goose is so not funny...! I'm sure Mr Wonderful was happier guarding in the country.... :)

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Chickens? Geese? You lot are nuts!

[quote author=JAYMZ link=topic=10517.msg155613#msg155613 date=1428691522]
    My wife said I had to post this for a laugh... http://youtu.be/k37gGppj0wk

:-[
    [/quote]

This is the thing of nightmares....

;D

7. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=10517.msg155796#msg155796 date=1428761909]
    Chickens? Geese? You lot are nuts!

[quote author=JAYMZ link=topic=10517.msg155613#msg155613 date=1428691522]
    My wife said I had to post this for a laugh... http://youtu.be/k37gGppj0wk

:-[
    [/quote]

This is the thing of nightmares....

;D
    [/quote]
    I'd been feeding them earthworms, which are the bestestest thing ever, and I think Clarabelle mistook my finger for a big fat worm!

8. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

Hello. Someone here was breeding chicks, but I can't remember who. Any ideas? I have a (don't highlight if you're sqeemish!) [tapeworm] issue and need treatment advice please. The internet is full of conflicting info. :-\

9. Oberon

You need a product that contains Praziquantel. Tablets are best as you know each bird is dosed properly. I don't know if you have this in the UK but I use Wormout tablets. Avitrol Plus is almost as good. Both come in tablet form.

10. Oberon

11. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=10517.msg158706#msg158706 date=1429822439]
    You need a product that contains Praziquantel. Tablets are best as you know each bird is dosed properly. I don't know if you have this in the UK but I use Wormout tablets. Avitrol Plus is almost as good. Both come in tablet form.
    [/quote]

Right that's one (Praziquantel) I had read about. But then I read one article that says Flubenvet works wonderfully and others that say it doesn't at all. Same about Avitrol. So confusing.
    How do you give a tablet to a chick?!

12. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

Cool, thanks. I'll see if. Can pick up something from my local farm suppliers before ordering online.

13. Oberon

Ok, I just checked the ingredients against the tablets I have and the ones I linked to are weaker. Mine have 20mg Praziquantel per tablet, while those ones I linked to have only 4mg per tablet - obviously pigeon sized! So you'd need to adjust the dose (ie one of the pigeon tablets per 500g of chook).

14. Oberon

Avitrol doesn't work as it doesn't contain praziquantel. Avitrol PLUS does contain praziquantel :) Different products.

Definitely go for a product with praziquantel in it. I had a brief look at Flubenvet and it doesn't look like it'd cover tapeworm (it's not available in Australia so I'm not familiar with it).

To worm a chicken.... It's probably easiest to wrap the chook in a towel or tea towel with the head poking out. This stops flapping. Have someone else hold the chook. Basically you need to open the beak and put the tablet right at the back of the tongue. Close the beak and stroke underneath to ensure swallowing.

Repeat the dose 10 days later and then at least every 6 months after that. Continue using the tapeworm product now that you know you have an issue with these.

With practice you'll be able to tuck the chook under your arm and do it by yourself and without the towel/helper. :)

15. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

Cool, thanks :)

16. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

No evidence of anything nasty in any poos this morning, both inside the coop and outside.

In this first instance I've opted to go with a 7 day course of Flubenvet (even though they don't specify tapeworm treatment) and increased levels of apple cider vinegar in their water. I'm hoping that this might be enough just to make life uncomfortable for the buggers (worms not chicks!) and that'll be the end of it.

The farm supplier does stock the Praziquantel paste (equine, but since we have a horse he will sell it to us!), but I'm nervous about dosages and application and possibly damaging my girls, so I'll use this as a last resort if it hasn't cleared by the end of the 7 day Flubenvet and ACV (I have the pre-treated feed).

Fingers crossed.

17. Oberon

If you've noticed tapeworm segments in poo then you need to treat for tapeworm. It can be very serious if untreated.

And trust me, vinegar will have nil effect.

18. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

I'll keep a close eye on the poos today. I'm wondering if I misinterpreted what I saw yesterday since everything was clear today. I inspected every single poo closely ???
    At least I know I can get the Praziquantel easily if I need it.

19. Oberon

Sure, if you think it was a false alarm then your plan sounds fine :) If you see things that look kinda like rice grains in the poop then that's tapeworms shedding segments, so you can then pounce on it.

20. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

Yeah I will, don't worry :)

The ACV I just add by default as it's good for them generally, not to specifically combat the nasties.

At this point I'm considering eating the bloomin' Welsummers anyway - they're so nasty to the poor fluffy Buffs :(