New dog won’t walk

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Gill aka Ruby’s mummy, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Gill aka Ruby’s mummy

Gill aka Ruby’s mummy Registered Users

I bought a lab puppy to go on my walks with me when bigger. She is 14 weeks now and when I take her out she only walks if she needs to pee or poo. If she doesn’t she just sits down, for ages and it’s a nightmare. Has anyone else had this or does anyone know how to get her to walk.

2. Annamarie Gebar

Annamarie Gebar Registered Users

I got Sophie at 7 weeks and she is going to be 16 weeks this weekend. She did the same thing snd it’s hard to exercise her to burn off energy because she just wants to lay in the grass and had no interest in walking. I started expanding her to the street just 3 houses down and I give her a toy or bone to “carry” so that she has a job while we walk. That has helped snd she’s learning to love walks. I also started on the driveway with her and used a trail of treats to get her to walk to the end and back. Walks are still stressful because she chokes herself from pulling snd tries to eat everything she sees, but it’s slowly getting better between the “leave it” command and by having her carry something, her mouth is preoccupied. .

3. Gill aka Ruby’s mummy

Gill aka Ruby’s mummy Registered Users

This made me laugh, Ruby is the same, just lies about or sits and stares. Today I started being really excited and saying “let’s go”, “good girl” really loud and excited and she actually walked a good wee bit. I look and sound like an idiot but it worked. I will see how she goes the rest of the week. She is only 14 weeks so still a baby. She also eats everything on the ground x