New Harness

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sven, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Hi,
    Hopefully someone can assist.
    We bought another harness for Vanilla, she did not like the others. New one is Haqihana, and she has taken to it straight away. Two walks already and no issues.
    The problem I have it seems to move a bit side to side ie:the d ring does not stay at the centre back, give or take a few degrees. It seems to move down the side at times. Fit seems to be right according to the instructions. Anyone who has one of these got the same issue? Or did you manage to resolve it?
    Couple of pictures attached showing off her new accessory

20170410_205129_1491865626946_resized.jpg 20170410_205139_1491865628742_resized.jpg 20170410_205122_resized.jpg

Jyssica likes this.
  2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Aww ...she is so gorgeous. I don't have this particular brand, but Simba's harness isn't strictly at centre back all the time. Doesn't seem to make any difference. If you think the harness is fitted properly than it shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't think, as long as it doesn't move more than what you say.

Sven likes this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Awww....Vanilla......:heart:

Sven likes this.
  4. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

I think this seems right, if it didn't move at all I think it would be too tight and the webbing would dig in.

Sven likes this.
  5. blackandwhitedog

blackandwhitedog Registered Users

It looks very smart, I love the colour. What do you think of the haqihana harness? Can you post a review after you've been using it for a little while? I've also been considering getting one of these, and would be interested in your thoughts (and Vanilla's!!)

Sven likes this.
  6. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

That colour looks sooo good on her!

Does it have a front fastening ring? Also considering one!

Sven likes this.
  7. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We have been using this harness for Casper for a while now, need to check the old threads to find out how long exactly. He is a reactive dog, in the sense he has trouble controlling his impulse to greet dogs and can also struggle with anxiety, which manifests as frustrated intense barking and lunging.
    He really is comfortable in this one though, and relaxed which for us is important. I think it must be something to do with the texture and feel of it? Honestly have no idea!
    It does slip slightly to the side, but not much, I figure this maybe because he is not perfectly symmetrical, unlike the harness. I adjusted it more on one side than the other, and it's been fine :)

Sven and Jyssica like this.
  8. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Thanks yes it does suit her. The last 2 harness we bought have both been where she had to put her feet through, and that never really worked for her. Plus some trial ones from the pet shop for a week or so. I think also it pinched her frong legs even though they where not supposed to.
    We like it even though she has only been out on 2 walks. But both times her behaviour was of a more confident and happy pup. Did not seem to bother her at all. Pleasure to walk. She only pulled once in a 30min walk last night, and this morning no pulling. It did help though that we have the 3m lead which I extended this morning to allow her to sniff on the local golf course. She never once pulled and the engament with her was excellent. She took to it really quickly, I don't know if it is because it is put in over the head and she does not have to lift her legs. Like @Beanwood said it could be the material. It is very smooth to the touch. My only concern is that it moved more than what I expected, and that she would then build up a uncomfortable association with it and not use it. Yes it is expensive, but sonfar I am impressed. One good thing I found is I now can put the lead on the collar to get her to sit and put my foot on the lead without loosing the clip on the harness. Before it was difficult to do this.
    But overall she is calmer, as even my wife had the lead last night.
    I will update in a few days to let everybody know how we are going.

Joy, SwampDonkey and Cath like this.
  9. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

We too have this harness, and it does slip to the side a little. It annoyed me at first and I tried fiddling with the fit, but it was fitted perfectly. I have got used to it now. It really suits Coco.

Jyssica likes this.
  10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I can only see one difference with this harness is it seems to fit much further back from the front legs? :)

11. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Does it have front and back connection points xx

12. Beanwood

@charlie it does fit a lot further back so this may add to the better balance of the harness. It is not a harness which has any affect on pulling, only training has an effect on that.. it just is exceptionally comfortable and does seem to reduce tension.
    @Jyssica the harness only has a back attachment, which sits quite far down the dogs back.

edzbird and Jyssica like this.
  13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thank goodness for that. Was very interested to see this review (below) - one of the first I've seen that discusses the harm from front fastening harnesses as being widely accepted (at long last). Not convinced that a Y shaped harness is much better, the mechanics are the problem, I think, but glad to see that makers of these front fastening contraptions might be starting to be called to answer the right kind of questions and pushed to demonstrate they do no harm or change the design.

it’s now common to see dogs in obvious discomfort in poorly fit front-clip harnesses that interfere with their movement, even when they are walking without pulling. And some veterinarians and veterinary physical therapists say they have seen an increase in dogs who have suffered injuries or chronic pain from these harnesses.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/20_4/features/Best-Dog-Harnesses-2017_21622-1.html

14. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Problem we have had with the all the 'Y' shaped harnesses is them pinching/restricted her front legs. Even after fitting it as advised. We never had a front fastening harness, due the information I have read about the problem it can cause for the dog due to them having to turn all the time.
    Yes this sits further back, but she has the movement on her legs, which is important to me. I need her to be comfortable, and this seems to be the case.
    Agree it does not reduce any pulling and only training does that. But we are getting better. One big change I have noticed with this over the last couple of days using it, she is more confident and her pulling has drastically reduced. Might have something to do with that she does not feel restricted while wearing it. Well that is my thought..

15. 20180815

20180815 Guest

I'm in the market for a new harness for my lab and want to get him the best one possible for his well-being. However all of the harnesses on the market I've seen are Y shaped (aside from the Halti-style harness with the strap across the front - which I assume is not good either as it pulls them to the side?). Is there an alternative harness style out there?

16. Beanwood

@SilverFalcon you might find this article useful in helping you in choosing a new harness...

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/top-three-harnesses-for-labrador-retrievers/

Based on our experiences with harness, a variety of them, with all three of our dogs, it is very much making sure they fit properly, don't rub, and are comfortable. Be mindful of what you are asking your dog to do, meaning any equipment used to try stop a dog pulling for any length of time IMO is not good for a whole host of reasons, not just for the detrimental mechanical effects. The article @JulieT quoted is interesting and worth a read, especially around the consequences of poorly fitted harnesses.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/20_4/features/Best-Dog-Harnesses-2017_21622-1.html

We use ruffwear (front and back) purfect fit (front and back )and haqihana harnesses. We also use flat collar and leads, and limited slips. It just depends what we are doing that day. When Benson was younger and in training, we used the Ruffwear front and back, just for super exciting places, really liked that one. For Casper it was the the perfect fit...but his reactivity got worse for some reason, so we had a complete overhaul of everything we did with him. I never thought the harness fitted correctly, or that he was completely happy with it, that though is purely a personal experience and I wouldn't judge the harness based on that.

Bramble had a puppia harness then at around 6 months old went straight onto a collar and slip lead. Mind you, she has a lovely walk to heel, both on and off lead. Benson though, in exciting places I will still even now, pop the ruffwear on him :)

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The harnesses from Dog Games - the sellers of the perfect fit - have a girth strap well back from the front legs. I actually dislike the perfect fit, although own 3 of them, and prefer the single piece fleece lined harness (which is a perfect fit without all the endless messy buckles that create pinch points).

A back fastening Y shaped harness is the best I find although a straight back fastening harness fitted properly with straps high enough is also no doubt fine. According to the article I posted above, a Y shaped harness is also the best if you want a front fastening harness - although I have my doubts about the effectiveness of that, I should think it's still better than a straight front fastening harness.

18. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Thanks @Beanwood and @JulieT for the articles and advice. I've also found this article:
    http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/16_7/features/the-no-pull-debate_20782-1.html

Also this comment from someone from the above article was interesting:
    "I guess I am not clear what "non-aversive" means to some people. I consider doing damage, possible permanent damage, to your dog as completely undesirable and unacceptable There have been dogs at UC Davis that have been caused permanent damage to their shoulder joints by these harnesses used on rapidly growing large breed puppies like Goldens and Labs etc. The only concern to people is that it does not cause them pain in one instant? Guaranteed it causes some sort of discomfort or it would not work to keep them from pulling. If it constricts muscles enough to keep them from pulling it IS painful. if they change their gait from front to back and one front leg to the other just wearing it, it IS causing some sort of pain."

My question is: Are both the article and comment talking strictly about the straight-across front fastening harnesses (H style), or also including Y front fastening? Do they both cause the same strain and damage?

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That's the subject of debate. There has only been one study on this, and the results of that are not public (I wrote to the researcher, but didn't get a reply).

My own view is that the mechanics of swinging a dog round when it pulls is the problem, and although I can see this would be worse with a straight harness - in that it would be a great deal more effective with a straight harness and more effective again if the lead is on the far side of the dog than the centre - I can't see that the potentially harmful effect is avoided with a Y shaped harness.

I completely agree that if some people don't use some device to stop a dog pulling then the dog might not get walks or training, and that might be worse for the dog - so for some people, it's necessary and in the best interests of the dog.

Having experienced a dog with joint problems due to gait change though, it's not something I'd risk.

20. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Frustrating that they won't publish the results. Well I think I will go ahead and order a Haqihana, I'm just concerned with a back fastening harness and a strong young dog who isn't properly trained yet, I'm afraid he might pull me over if he suddenly lunges at something (namely a dog that suddenly appears). What's an effective technique I can employ in these situations? Should I stop and stand on the lead until the dog has passed?

@Sven My apologies if I've derailed your original question, can split this off into a separate topic if needed? And is that turquoise or arctic you've chosen? Such a lovely colour, I'm thinking to get the turquoise, both look lovely with yellow I think :)

suze12 likes this.