New Lab Owner

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jyssica, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you - exciting times!

I read the Happy Puppy Handbook cover to cover every time a new pup is due!

2. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Where can i find some good info on clicker training

Thanks

3. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

Nothing much to add apart from don't be too hard on yourself if things don't go to plan, all the little setbacks makes all the eureka moments all the more special. 2 and 3 Wine and a good camera :nod:

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Here are a couple of articles from the main site:
    http://www.thelabradorsite.com/ten-great-reasons-to-start-clicker-training/
    http://www.thelabradorsite.com/clicker-training-whats-it-all-about/

I would also heartily recommend looking at the Kikopup channel on YouTube for lots of ideas:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup

Here are a couple of examples - first things to teach your pup:

If you like physical books, I can also recommend Kay Lawrence's Clicker Training: The Perfect Foundation, which comes with a useful DVD:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clicker-Training-Perfect-Foundation-DVD/dp/189094839X

5. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

So just 1 week to go until we collect Rolo, I'm really excited but wish it was this week.

Ive bought another crate, for when he comes into work with me or the OH as I dont fancy hauling the 42" around with me especially as it has divider etc in, several more Kong toys, vet bedding, and a harness. This is not a cheap show!

Looking forward to it though, I keep trying to tell me OH how important the training will be, I think he was worried he wouldnt be allowed play time but i assured him he was but he would have to be on board with me training!

Excited!

snowbunny likes this.
  6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Training is playtime, too, if you go about it in an upbeat and fun manner. Dogs love to learn, so if you approach every behaviour you're trying to teach as a game, then you'll both have a lot of fun doing it.

Just this week, I've been working on getting my two to sit straighter at heel. It could be really dull and boring for them, not to mention frustrating, but with using the clicker and the best reward in the world - a rubber ball - they've been having a whale of a time, and run to me at mach 10, leaping and spinning in the air to get into position for their reward. Adjusting your energy levels really makes a difference to the engagement you have from your pup.

Of course, sometimes you want to work on lower energy things, too, which is also important, so your pup learns to switch off!

7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Training is very definitely playtime. If either you or your pup are not enjoying it, it's time for a break.

It's really important to get OH on board if he's going to help with training. Coco was quite old when we got him, and I am in the very fortunate position that he can easily differentiate between OH's haphazard efforts, and my very consistent training. I don't let OH have a clicker or a whistle, I daren't.

8. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I love watching my OH "train" Stanley. It's adorable.

He's never really gotten past sit & paw. But he always gets so excited when Stanley does what he's asked and makes such a big fuss of him.

Cuteness overload :inlove:

9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My OH took a lot of training! He's getting there now ;)