New lab owners question

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Moz, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Moz

Moz Registered Users

Hi everyone.
    We are getting a new lab pup this week and the kids are quite excited about bringing him home.
    I have a couple of questions:

1. We are getting him from a breeder. At this time of the pandemic, is there a risk of getting covid-19 from the puppy's fur (should the breeder be asymptomatic)?

2. How many days after his hast vaccination can we give him a bath? I'm thinking a bath & shampoo will kill any virus in his fur before the kids start hugging and patting him.

Thanks!
    Les

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Slightly different, but I had an older dog arrive recently and he went straight in the bath. This could be quite stressful for the puppy, but you need to protect your children x

3. Christina2807

Christina2807 Registered Users

I agree, he won't like it but with plenty of treats you can make it more enjoyable for him. Also when we first washed Luna I sat in the bath with her while my husband held the shower so she wasn't alone in a 'big white bowl with loads of water coming from above and two big people looking down at her' x

4. Moz

Moz Registered Users

Thanks for the replies. We're excited to have him

5. Crofton138

Crofton138 Registered Users

First time we put the pup in the bath, we didn't add any water and just played with a toy and treats in the empty bath. Second time we added a very small amount of water, just enough for her to get her paws wet. Third time we washed her with the shower. After the two trial runs, she had no problems at all.

Christina2807 likes this.
  6. McGuillicuddy

McGuillicuddy Registered Users

I am late to the party here but based on everything I could find on the subject I don't think transmission via fur is a significant concern. This would be very low on my list of concerns when bringing home a new puppy.