New Puppy Countdown

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Molly McLaughlin, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Molly McLaughlin

Molly McLaughlin Registered Users

Hello,
    We are expecting to take home our just shy of 8 weeks (by 2 days) yellow English lab girl on Saturday, March 9, 2019. We're naming her Happy :) And, we are pretty excited! I have crates and various dog accessories from other dogs, so I think we're set on that front. However, it's been nearly 20 years since I've owned a lab/x and 25 years since I've owned lab. In the intervening years there have been some terriers and our current Catahoula/Cattle dog cross. Very different personalities. I'm really looking forward to the generally friendly laid back nature of a lab.

Our current dog, Nikko, is 8 1/2 and fairly wired. Even at 8 1/2, if the weather is cool, he can run 10 miles with me at a decent pace, and still dash around the yard when we get home. Like many Catahoula/cattle dog type breeds, he's very much a one person dog, territorial, and protective. The last 6 months are the first time that he's been an only dog and once he realizes that a dog is part of our pack. He's pretty good with them. However, I have two questions:

1) Our breeder is very firm about limiting the puppy's exercise for the first year. I'm worried that Nikko's energy level might be too much for the pup, even when the pup is older. So, how much play is too much play?

2) I've always introduced new puppies to my current dogs by holding the puppies in my arms and being seated, which allows our current dogs to sniff, but also understand that the puppy is under my protection so to speak. Now, I see that the advice is to never hold the puppy during the introduction. Does anybody know why I shouldn't hold the puppy while I'm introducing her to Nikko?

Molly

2. Jade

Jade Registered Users

Welcome and congratulations. Happy is a great name..
    Usually it's best to introduce on neutral ground so neither feels the need to defend their territory. A good place would be a friend's backyard or possibly the breeders house.

3. Dandan111

Dandan111 Registered Users

Our lab is the first lab pup we've had. After he's ran his energy off what a loving dog! I honestly think your cattle dog will wear out the new pup. I would guess your going to need to give the lab a break from time to time.
    For introducing we kind of let the puppy go and stayed near our Boston. I was more concerned with grabbing our Boston. He really was pretty good, other than dripping slobber from his mouth for the first two days.

4. Molly McLaughlin

Molly McLaughlin Registered Users

Hello Jade and Dandan,
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it :)

When Nikko, our current dog, was introduced to our last puppy, it went fine. We introduced them on a neighbor's stoop, with me sitting on the step holding the puppy for Nikko to sniff. Then we all went back to the house together. Over time, I slowly integrated the pup into the household routine with supervised interactions. It worked well and the two dogs got along very nicely, but, sadly, we lost that dog last September when he was four.

I had planned on using the same approach this time. However, when I searched for advice on introducing a puppy to a current dog (because I'm looking up everything about puppies to get through the waiting period), I noticed that the advice in several places specifically said Not to hold the puppy during the introduction. I am really just trying to understand what the reasoning is. If I think it's good I might modify what I'm doing, but I like to understand advice before blindly following it.

Jade, the picture of your pup is adorable! Dandan, the picture of you Boston 'dripping slobber' made me chuckle :)