New puppy parents in two weeks

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mark L, May 16, 2020.

1. Mark L

Mark L Registered Users

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone could give us and advise on feeding and night time toilet training for a little addition that we receive in two weeks.

How often in a day do we need to feed a 9 week old pup and how much do we give them as don’t want to under feed yet have a podgy pooch either.

also how often will we need to take him out when we are sleeping so he doesn’t get uncomfortable and end up having an accident.

any advise welcome

Thanks
    Mark

2. Jess_Bushby

Jess_Bushby Registered Users

Hi Mark

From one recently new puppy owner to another I wish you the best of luck and encourage you to enjoy raising your four legged pal as much as you can (believe me, there are days you won’t enjoy so much!). We’ve just hit 7 months and wow does it go fast. Take pictures and videos as it’ll fly by.

I’d really recommend getting one of Pippa’s books to cover your questions or looking through the full advice pages on the site - this’ll keep you busy in the next 2 weeks! They’ll give you a really good foundation of knowledge which if your experience is anything like ours or any standard puppy owners, you’ll need it!

If your household has more than one person in it I’d suggest you get everyone to read the same new puppy knowledge materials. This really helped with my husband and I so we were both clear on the methods we were using and didn’t have to rely on one person to keep prompting another.

Have patience, try to have fun and remember you are not the first and won’t be the last when you’re looking at your bundle of joy asking why on Earth they are doing what they’re doing...

Jess

Christina2807 likes this.
  3. Alex Clark

Alex Clark Registered Users

Yeah, Jess is right. It is always better if you start reading those books and gain deep knowledge about it.

Jess_Bushby likes this.
  4. Mark L

Mark L Registered Users

Thanks Jess

That was such a lovely message and any help or information Is gratefully received. He’s arrived now and if I’m honest for now he’s been a little gem. The breeder was lovely and took a lot of time introducing her puppies to new things as well as noises. Could you suggest which books to buy and where did you purchase them from?

A big thank you
    Mark

5. Jess_Bushby

Jess_Bushby Registered Users

Hi Mark

Here’s Pippa’s main site which has loads of free materials for you to read at every stage of your pups development:

https://www.thelabradorsite.com/#

For actual books we went into Waterstones and had a peruse and bought Pippa’s book (which led us to the forum) as well as a few others. But I think you can purchase online as normal still. Pippa’s available books are listed in the menu bar of that link that I sent up there. I’d suggest starting with a standard ‘all in’ puppy book, and one which we regret not getting earlier on, the total recall one too!

Speak soon

Jess

6. Mark L

Mark L Registered Users

Thank you Jess. Much appreciated

Mark