New puppy tips that have made things So much easier

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Beccaspence91, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Beccaspence91

Beccaspence91 Registered Users

Hello,
    I've posted a few times on here (and have read others do the same) when I've been struggling with my new pup and trying to work out what I can do to help certain behavior/get some time to do my own jobs. Recently we've really turned a corner after trying lots of things and I thought it would be useful to post what has really helped us in the hope it may help others.

-the Kong wobbler- this is amazing, Cooper has most of his meals in this as he's on hills biscuits and he Loves it, it keeps him occupied for a good 15-20 mins with the added bonus that it stops him scoffing his food down.
    - natural antlers and buffalo horns- wow what can I say incredible-this has made the Biggest difference! Like most labs Cooper is a nightmare for biting and chewing. We tried nylabone and unfortunately being a big chewer he ingested some (luckily it all came out the other end) but both of these keep him occupied for ages and I mean ages. It really satisfies his urge to chew and although they are pricey they last SO long and it's worth it! When I work from home I pop one in the dining room with him and he happily chews away (don't worry I do keep an eye to check he's safe) his favourite seems to be the buffalo I think it's more tasty!!
    -frozen carrots- A healthier alternative to fatty treats which sooth the gums and again keep him occupied!
    -plastic bottles--this was recommended to me by another member on here and worked a treat, he loves chasing them around and batting them about. Every now and then I swap to a fresh one which renews his excitement and recycle the old.
    -Doing some training with him-again recommended by another member and really helps-il do some bits of training throughout the day, even 10-15 mins seems to help calm him down and keep him stimulated.
    -finally the usual- filled kongs always a favourite. Our trainer suggested we give him one every time we want to leave him to entertain himself in a room for abit so he feels like being left alone is a positive and it does seem to help barking.

Anyway I am no expert at all (first time pup mum and he's only 16 weeks so still wondering when biting/barking when alone will end) but I know at times I've been desperate to find things to help so hopefully these may be of use to someone else :)

Rebecca

Joy and Saffy/isla like this.
  2. Beccaspence91

Beccaspence91 Registered Users

I meant to mention obviously check with your vet or read up on antlers /buffalo horns before you give them.were aware there are pros and cons of using them but there seems to be with everything and our vets suggested we try them out so we're happy using them :)

3. Sara Easton

Sara Easton Registered Users

I am yet to post on these forums, but follow along. We have a 16 week old Choc Lab pup and I found this super helpful! We do some of these already but will be off to try the antlers and horns as the pigs ears he loves are gone too quick now days! :p