New puppy Tusker

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Jodie+Tusker, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Jodie+Tusker

Jodie+Tusker Registered Users

Hiya lab lovers am new to this.. But I'm picking up a chocolate lab of Sunday I have two children under 5 I was after any tips on bringing him home? Also he's first night here will it be best to start crate training straight away.. Have the crate in our room? Or leave him on he's own downstairs? Thank you in advance

2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Hi Jodie, I bet you're really excited to be bringing a new pup home - what's his name, Tusker? Sorry, I don't have any puppy advice - only had older dogs, but there'll be lots of advice from other puppy owners.

Jodie+Tusker likes this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Jodie, and welcome to the forum.
    With a couple of little humans in the house, I think a crate will be a must.
    A lot of people move the crate to the bedroom for night time, or have a second crate or deep box instead beside the bed.
    Others keep a crate in kitchen or utility room etc.
    I guess it depends on which approach you favour too - the set the alarm for 2 am and 6 am for a loo stop, or the pen approach with puppy pads.
    Any thought on this?
    Jac

Jodie+Tusker likes this.
  4. Jodie+Tusker

Thank

5. Jodie+Tusker

Thank you for your advise, yes I think crate training will be best. I have small crate as he's only 9 weeks also a large one for him to grow into.. About the puppy training pads you think it will best to use them? Or to take him straight out to the garden? Thank you

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome :)
    I didn't use puppy pads, just kept a very close eye on her. I took her out for a wee when she woke up, after eating, after playing and anytime I seen her sniffing or turning in a circle. I would estimate about every hour we went out during the day.
    Have you read The Happy Puppy book? It's got some really good advice in there.
    With little ones you might want to have some stair gates across certain rooms so the children and pup can have some alone time. Some pups are a bit bitey for a few weeks as they are teething. They don't hurt intentionally, but younger children won't understand that. I taught my nephew how to get Harley to sit and let him give her a treat when she did it.
    Pups are quite playful and will need monitoring with young children.
    Good luck and please do ask questions if you are unsure about something