New to the forum and need help

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Priya Prasad, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Priya Prasad

Priya Prasad Registered Users

Hello All, joined the forum recently. My pup Percy is 3.5 months old and pees atleast 15 times in a day and poops 7 to 8 times. I am giving him 4 meals as suggested by the vet (2 meals with 1.75 cups RC dry, 1 meal with 1.75 cup RC boiled to make it soft, 1 meal of 1 Cup Rice and boiled vegetable) a day. We are also giving him 4 - 5 cups of water.

Are we doing right?
    Isnt the frequency of pee and poop high?
    Need advise

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Priya, welcome to the forum :)

Lots of puppies will pee a bit whenever you take them out. Assuming you take him outside to pee, you can start making the gaps between toilet trips longer, and he will learn to learn to start holding it in and pee less frequently. Do this very gradually though to avoid accidents!

May I ask why the vet recommended that particular diet? It's a bit unusual for a puppy Percy's age who's otherwise healthy to still have kibble soaked in water, or any meals of rice and vegetables without an animal protein source. If he's already under veterinary care for something, and his diet is part of that, then ask your vet about the number of times Percy is pooping, and whether it's ok.

If that diet is just what your vet recommends for all puppies Percy's age, then you need a new vet!

3. Priya Prasad

Priya Prasad Registered Users

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your response.

On inculcating the peeing habits and fixing the frequency, we are still unable to fix the pee times to take him out. Hence there are more accidents. Also he is used to pee pads. Need advise on how to wean him from pee pads.

Sometimes Percy gags on dry kibble and hence the suggestion to make it softer.

Was just going through the article on how much to feed a lab puppy and frequency. Will change the frequency to 3 times a day.

However need advice on the kinds of food to give him.